Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more Amex Gold (not PRG)?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

No more Amex Gold (not PRG)?

So Doctor of Credit reports that Amex is no longer issuing the Amex Gold card (not to be confused with the PRG card). Sure enough, I don't see it listed on the Amex website. Will anyone miss it?

I have to admit, I'm kind of curious about what will happen with respect to the Platinum card benefit to be able to add gold cards for authorized users. Any chance it'll be bumped up to free PRG cards for authorized users?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: No more Amex Gold (not PRG)?

@Anonymous wrote:
So Doctor of Credit reports that Amex is no longer issuing the Amex Gold card (not to be confused with the PRG card). Sure enough, I don't see it listed on the Amex website. Will anyone miss it?

I have to admit, I'm kind of curious about what will happen with respect to the Platinum card benefit to be able to add gold cards for authorized users. Any chance it'll be bumped up to free PRG cards for authorized users?

Gold card are still available for Platinum cardholders and current gold card holders will still get to keep their cards.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 2 of 5
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I saw that as well... it makes me wonder if at some point they'll drop the 'Preferred Rewards' from the name and just refer to it as the 'Amex Gold Card' (but with the rewards structure as it is now).  I'll have to consult the Magic Eight Ball...

Here's the link to the article over on DoC:  https://www.doctorofcredit.com/american-express-discontinued-gold-card-not-prg/

Message 3 of 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@UncleB wrote:

<snip>it makes me wonder if at some point they'll drop the 'Preferred Rewards' from the name and just refer to it as the 'Amex Gold Card' (but with the rewards structure as it is now).<snip>

That would be my guess.  When I got my first Amex card in 2002, it was the Green Membership Rewards Card (it had Membership Rewards printed where the PRG has Premier Rewards on the front of the card) and they still had a classic green card without MRs that was simply named The American Express Card.  Fast-forward 15 years and the American Express Green Card has MRs and dropped the MR moniker (and I have since done a PC to Platinum).

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Made zero sense to have 2 tiers of Gold charge cards.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.