Re: Not getting many credit card offers despite 786 FICO

Thanks.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 31 of 52
donkort
Valued Contributor

My credit cards

Hello everybody.

I hope you wouldn't mind sharing your impression of these credit cards which I have at this moment.  As I think about it, I really believe I have enough credit available----and don't need another card.

Thank you for your feedback.

1.  Barclay's Upromise Mastercard -- $8,800 credit limit. 

2.  Amazon Prime Rewards Visa -- $8,000 credit limit (weirdly, I got a $2,500 credit limit increase despite my upper 600's score at the time).

3.  Chase Freedom Visa -- $6,500 credit limit.

4.  Costco  Mastercard -- $5,500 credit limit.

My FICO 8 Scores:   EX - 790; EQ - 782; TU - 779.    I have some auto-enhanced and credit card-enhanced scores in the 800s.

Message 32 of 52
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: My credit cards

Do you have a goal in mind? Are you thinking of optimizing for rewards?

Message 33 of 52
donkort
Valued Contributor

Actually, never thought of that.

I want to travel quite a bit when I retire in about 2 years, 10 months.  Some of the cards listed are very good, actually, for things like car rental insurance and "no foreign transaction fees."  But I want a card which is optimal for travel.  Yet, I don't want to mess with my credit score by accumulating too many inquiries.  I also want to, eventually, get a retirement home in some semi-rural area.

I was wondering if people here believe I have enough---basically.

Thanks for your response.

Message 34 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

You say you have "a 786 FICO." On which bureau? What are your scores with the other bureaus? On which credit bureau(s) are your inquiries? Have you checked all three major bureaus to make sure all are clean, and have been updated? These things matter when advising you how to proceed. 

Message 35 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@donkort wrote:

2.  Amazon Prime Rewards Visa -- $8,000 credit limit (weirdly, I got a $2,500 credit limit increase despite my upper 600's score at the time).

In regards to your Amazon Prime Visa, do keep a lookout for special offers.  If you use the mobile banking app, you can find cashback bonuses that you can add to your account.    One example that I used today in fact was 10% cashback at Pizza Ranch.  The bonuses offered are random and may/may not be a benefit, but just to keep an eye out for.

CBC9331A-857C-4B22-94DE-AB980AB02E68.jpeg

Message 36 of 52
donkort
Valued Contributor

My Experian is now 790.

Equifax is 782

TransUnion is 779

I have 2 inquiries for TransUnion, and 3 in the other bureaus.  One is coming off this month.  They are all over a year old.

My only "drawback," at this point, is my $65,000 student loan.

Message 37 of 52
donkort
Valued Contributor

Thank you.

Message 38 of 52
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I'm a noob to all this, but I don't think anybody but you knows whether your lineup is "enough". It seems like you have all pretty good cards, and if you are happy with them and they do what you want besides travel, then I'd target a good travel card. Myself, I am trying to optimize cashback and I want 3 or 4 more cards to get a higher % for my spend, so 10 or 11 cards seems to be my "enough'. It all depends on all of our goals.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 39 of 52
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@donkort  based on what you shared previously and your lack of credit seeking, I think you can pretty much get one or two cards of your choice without issues.

It's just a matter of deciding what kind of card, especially when it comes to travel.

Are you opposed to paying AFs? 

If you're not, what's the AF range you'd consider?

Are you looking for something that's "general" travel like CSP/CSR, AR, Premier/Prestige, or are you looking at hotels, airlines etc 

Do you have an opinion on charge cards? 

So many questions lol 

Message 40 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.