cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not using two CC

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Valued Contributor

Not using two CC

Will BoA or AMEX care if I use only one of my accounts with them and not use the other one.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Super Contributor

Re: Not using two CC

IMHO 

Amex is not paranoid at all if usage slows or inactive for long periods 

Haven't used one of mine in 12 - 14 months 

However in my case the other 3 see loads of activity

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 10
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Not using two CC

No matter how many cards you have with Amex. They only look at the overall account usage. That's why you can only get one CLI every six months on one card at a time.

Message 3 of 10
Senior Contributor

Re: Not using two CC

Policies can and do change. I wouldn't want my cards to be the canaries in the coal mine.

 

If a card is worth keeping, it should be worth putting an occasional small purchase on.

Spend: BofA Premium, BBP, Schwab Platinum, Freedom x 2, Costco, Discover
Perks: IHG49, Hyatt75, Marriott Brilliant, Delta Platinum
SD/AAoA Ballast: Arrival, CFU, DC, ED
Downgrading in 2020: BCP, Savor
Mostly earning MRs and cash back as I use up hotel and airline points.
Message 4 of 10
Frequent Contributor

Re: Not using two CC

I don't have any BoA cards, but as for AmEx... I don't think they care as long as you're using ONE of their cards. One of mine hasn't been used for about 9 months now and nothing has happened to it.

[11 AMEX] 58.5k + NPSLs // [1 Cap One] 23.25k // [2 Discover] 15.9k // [2 Barclays] 10.15k // [3 Citi] 18.8k // [2 Chase] 24.5k // Amazon 6k
Starting FICO Scores: EQ 595, TU 625, EX 604 (01/14/15) w/ Total CL of $1.3k
Current FICO Scores: EQ 699, TU 700, EX 699 (6/11/19) w/ Total CLs of $169.1k
Owner of The Point Calculator. Calculate credit card rewards, compare groups of credit cards side-by-side, and search for cards based on spend. Use the Credit Card Comparsion Tool to compare groups of cards.
Message 5 of 10
Senior Contributor

Re: Not using two CC


@Komp wrote:

I don't have any BoA cards, but as for AmEx... I don't think they care as long as you're using ONE of their cards. One of mine hasn't been used for about 9 months now and nothing has happened to it.


It's worth noting, though, that the Amex cards in your signature all have annual fees.

Spend: BofA Premium, BBP, Schwab Platinum, Freedom x 2, Costco, Discover
Perks: IHG49, Hyatt75, Marriott Brilliant, Delta Platinum
SD/AAoA Ballast: Arrival, CFU, DC, ED
Downgrading in 2020: BCP, Savor
Mostly earning MRs and cash back as I use up hotel and airline points.
Message 6 of 10
Frequent Contributor

Re: Not using two CC

It's a possibility that it could play into them closing accounts, but I still don't think they will do anything. Even when AmEx let me in the door with their no AF Everyday card in 2015, I didn't use that for a long period of time (probably about 6 months or so) and it was fine. 

 

Basically no one knows for sure. If you're nervous, buy some gum or something on it... otherwise, live dangerously and test the waters Smiley Very Happy

 

But IMO you will be fine... especially since you're using one of there other cards anyway! Smiley Happy

[11 AMEX] 58.5k + NPSLs // [1 Cap One] 23.25k // [2 Discover] 15.9k // [2 Barclays] 10.15k // [3 Citi] 18.8k // [2 Chase] 24.5k // Amazon 6k
Starting FICO Scores: EQ 595, TU 625, EX 604 (01/14/15) w/ Total CL of $1.3k
Current FICO Scores: EQ 699, TU 700, EX 699 (6/11/19) w/ Total CLs of $169.1k
Owner of The Point Calculator. Calculate credit card rewards, compare groups of credit cards side-by-side, and search for cards based on spend. Use the Credit Card Comparsion Tool to compare groups of cards.
Message 7 of 10
Super Contributor

Re: Not using two CC


@wasCB14 wrote:

Policies can and do change. I wouldn't want my cards to be the canaries in the coal mine.

 

If a card is worth keeping, it should be worth putting an occasional small purchase on.


+1


Total revolving limits 639500 (558000 reporting)
Message 8 of 10
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Not using two CC


@Komp wrote:

It's a possibility that it could play into them closing accounts, but I still don't think they will do anything. Even when AmEx let me in the door with their no AF Everyday card in 2015, I didn't use that for a long period of time (probably about 6 months or so) and it was fine. 

 

Basically no one knows for sure. If you're nervous, buy some gum or something on it... otherwise, live dangerously and test the waters Smiley Very Happy

 

But IMO you will be fine... especially since you're using one of there other cards anyway! Smiley Happy


 

+1

I cancelled two Amex cards last year. I was told both times after mentioning that I didn't plan to use them much. That I had nothing to worry about and could leave them open if I wanted to...as I've stated before. Because they don't look at cards individually. For those that worry, put a dollar on it or call and asked. Get it straight from the horse's mouth.They'll tell you the same. 

Message 9 of 10
Valued Contributor

Re: Not using two CC

I've gone 12-18 months before without using my Bofa and Amex BCE with no issues. However, since I wanted to keep them open, I did put a small charge on them just to reset the timer!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.