Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OCCU is closing out credit cards if you are not a member

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

OCCU is closing out credit cards if you are not a member

Had mine after surviving the flood of closings in 2014-2015, got a letter that said I had to join the CU to keep it, told em wasnt interested in a CU membership and to shut it down. No biggie, rewards were nerfed and I rarely used it. Will be getting something else to replace its 9K overall loss.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Re: OCCU is closing out credit cards if you are not a member

How did you even get the card issued without membership? I would think membership might be the easy thing to try for in that case. Also did you lose your stockpiled rewards?

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense WMC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 2 of 20
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@zerofire wrote:

How did you even get the card issued without membership? I would think membership might be the easy thing to try for in that case. Also did you lose your stockpiled rewards?

OCCU was issuing to anyone in 2014 when the Duck & Beaver cards came out. Wasnt interested in spending 55 bucks to join the UofO Alumni assoc to keep the card at this point, spent 4K on it in 7 years and no i lost nothing in rewards I dont stockpile any cards rewards they are claimed every 6 months or sooner if over $50.

Message 3 of 20
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

I've often wondered if anybody here still had an open duck or beaver card. 

Message 4 of 20
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

They shut my Beaver card down sometime this past Spring after having it for 6-1/2 years. I was presuming it was for non usage b/c I hadn't used it in well over 2 years. I would like to have kept it open but they didn't give me any notice. No biggie--it was only a $2k CL anyway.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 5 of 20
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@gdale6 wrote:

@zerofire wrote:

OCCU was issuing to anyone in 2014 when the Duck & Beaver cards came out. Wasnt interested in spending 55 bucks to join the UofO Alumni assoc to keep the card at this point, spent 4K on it in 7 years and no i lost nothing in rewards I dont stockpile any cards rewards they are claimed every 6 months or sooner if over $50.

Those were some good times back then.  I tried like heck to the card but by the time I got around to it, the closings were coming fast and furious.   A lot of folks around these here parts got caught in that massive sweep.  

Message 6 of 20
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

@zerofire wrote:

Those were some good times back then.  I tried like heck to the card but by the time I got around to it, the closings were coming fast and furious.   A lot of folks around these here parts got caught in that massive sweep.  

I enjoyed this forum a lot back then too. I'm pretty sure it was Fall of 2013 when the Duck card was popular b/c I was relatively new to the forum and rebuilding my credit at the time--and that was my first experience with a FOTM card.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 7 of 20
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Credit-hoarder it was definitely a blast around here back then. Just a lot of moving parts, lenders were generous, some overly generous.  

2014-2015 was the time when PenFed drastically changed their approval standards and was handing cards out like crazy, that NFCU back door existed and how a lot of us were able to join, CapOne was handing out $10-$20k Venture cards like it was Christmas morning.  

Nasa was a favorite of some, SDFCU was sending pre-approved personal loan checks. NFCU was blessing folks with crazy high limits with less than stellar credit.  

5/24 was on the scene but wasn't governing all cards at the time.  Synchrony was being Synchrony and the back door number for just about all of their products was alive and well.  Comenity was handing out Sportsman's Guide Visa cards via the SCT along with the vast majority of all for their cards.   The Delta Gold Amex at $1k was the entry way for lots of folks into the Amex world who didn't have the best credit.  

*sigh*, yep, those were some good times back then for sure.  

Message 8 of 20
pcmedic2k
Valued Member

Just found out about this the hard way today. Got alerts from my credit monitoring that one of my accounts had been closed. Logged in to see what was up and it was my OCCU DUCK card.

Jump on phone to contact OCCU and after 35 minutes got tired of sitting on hold so hung up and sent them an email and they promptly responded with ...

"Thank you for reaching out to us for assistance. An established OCCU membership is now a requirement to a be a credit cardholder. We had sent multiple letters to notify you of this change and eased into this transition by initially blocking credit cards to encourage outreach before fully closing accounts.

Please reach out to our Member Contact Center for further instruction and guidance. We can assist you with opening a membership and reapplying for a credit card if you would like. We are available by dialing 1(800) 365-1111, Option 0, between 8AM - 6PM, PT, Monday - Friday, and on Saturdays from 10AM - 2PM, PT.

Thank you for your time in this matter!

Regards,

OCCU"

Now as I replied to them, I am not sure what address they were sending thse letters to, but sure was not the same one they send the statements I pay every month to and perhaps a notice by email, included with the statement, or secure message when you logged into your online account may have been a better option for them to use.

Pay to get a membership with your credit union and take a hard pull to get a new account. I think not if this is how they treat their customers.

Message 9 of 20
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@zerofire wrote:

Wow. Plum forgot about them BUT i had the DUCK Card and it DID survive the first closure flood. However as the next wave of closures swept thru i decided to just go proactive and closed mine. It's still on my reports and for nostagia sakes i may have a glance at it again.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.