Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Objective: Target RedCard MC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Objective: Target RedCard MC

Okay, last month the wife and I applied for a Target RedCard. We were both approved for $2,000 each.  Our goal it to see who can get the MC upgrade faster.  We are both armed with the same information from previous albeit old information regarding this.  She however is paying her balance down prior to statement drop every month with an average spend of approx $200. I will be stopping AZEO until I can get this achieved.  I am carrying  25 -25% on my 10k discover (interest free and looking for a CLI) and will be carrying up to  18% (PIF after statement drop).  Both of our scores are around the 700 FICO range. We just sold our house in Dec, while the CBRs do not reflect it we will be losing a 18 years in our AAoA.

Any current advice on achieving the upgrade? We do both have access to this forum so I am not asking for a secret one up Smiley Happy

Thanks ahead of time

27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Objective: Target RedCard MC

That's fun that you're doing the experiment together. It's a good goal; the Target card is one I'm interested in for there future. I'm curious to see which of you gets the upgrade first! 

Do you mean that your AAoA will drop 18 years or that you're going to be having an 18 year old account drop off that will impact your AAoA? If you just sold your house, presumably the closed mortgage account will stay on your reports for 7-10 years, I think.

Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, I think the soonest I recall seeing others get the Target MC upgrade was something like 6 months to a year, but I've seen quite a few threads of people who have had the Target card for years and are still waiting for their upgrade. I'm sure others can offer more data points.

Message 3 of 28
blindambition
Senior Contributor

I got my Target RedCard 4/18. My SL was $2500.

Id let statement close. Usually a couple hundred or less. PIF and update income each month, even with no change. I let Christmas presents go 2 months, one month of $3 interest.

Notified of upgrade last month with CLI to $9000. Took me 20 months.

Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck to both of you! I hope you don't have to wait too long to see an upgrade. I wonder which one of you will get it first?! Keep us posted.

Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That's fun that you're doing the experiment together. It's a good goal; the Target card is one I'm interested in for there future. I'm curious to see which of you gets the upgrade first! 

Do you mean that your AAoA will drop 18 years or that you're going to be having an 18 year old account drop off that will impact your AAoA? If you just sold your house, presumably the closed mortgage account will stay on your reports for 7-10 years, I think.

I had read on reddit where a guy acheived the MC upgrade in 11 months. He started with a sig lower SL of $800 though, 3 auto CLIs to $9k at 11 months. As far as his reported spend $10 - $30 per week allowing the statement to drop and paying off immediately.  He does not provide any other information as to his profile.  He did say when he applied for his RedCard he was 13 months out of a BK7. 

As far as the home sale is concerned.   I meant AA of active accounts will take a significant hit. I am a bit confused on what is actually guaged complete average age history vs acvite age history. I have credit monitoring that will use one or the other.  I have a 8 year 5 month since PIF auto loan that shows on my CBR closed list. All of my math skills can not find where they are using that in any factoring. 

Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, I think the soonest I recall seeing others get the Target MC upgrade was something like 6 months to a year, but I've seen quite a few threads of people who have had the Target card for years and are still waiting for their upgrade. I'm sure others can offer more data points.

I am shooting for a year, going to be an interesting experiment. I will keep this post updated with changes. 

Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@blindambition wrote:

I got my Target RedCard 4/18. My SL was $2500.

Id let statement close. Usually a couple hundred or less. PIF and update income each month, even with no change. I let Christmas presents go 2 months, one month of $3 interest.

Notified of upgrade last month with CLI to $9000. Took me 20 months.

Thanks for the info,  that is what I am going to be doing.  You're the 3rd post I have come across with the $9k CL being the trigger. While I have read $5k is what triggers it. Will be interesting to see if and what triggers ours.

Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Good luck to both of you! I hope you don't have to wait too long to see an upgrade. I wonder which one of you will get it first?! Keep us posted.

Thanks and will do! 

Message 9 of 28
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Although I am sure it's not completely random as to who is selected for the upgrade, it sure seems that way. Some people get it after a relatively short time. For some it takes years. Some people get it after using the card heavily. Others barely use the card. For many, it never happens at all.

I really don't understand the reason for TD being so elusive about the Mastercard. If someone wants it for whatever reason, I don't get why they cannot just ask for an upgrade and/or apply for the Mastercard outright. It's an odd situation.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.