Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off With Their Heads!!!

tag
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Re: Off With Their Heads!!!

Youve got plenty of time to figure out what to do it after you get the bonus. Look at it this way, the bonus is at least $1,000 which would technically cover 10 years of annual fees. So if you haven't figured it out by 10yrs, close because then you'll start to go in the negative. I'm confident you'll sort it out much sooner. Snag the bonus and park it. As your lineup, and the economy evolve, you may be surprised at where it fits in best for you long term. 

And chase has been adding so many additional offers due to COViD that you may find accelerated rewards for regular things like groceries, dining or gas. And if not, you can always downgrade it to a no AF card with them

you got plenty of options 

Message 51 of 144
ReturnOfTheCredi
Contributor

You're absolutely right about that. I came across this recent article outlining some likely changes coming to the Sapphire lineup: https://thepointsguy.com/news/chase-sapphire-cards-refresh/

Those could prove useful. The travel portal, maybe not so much. We rarely use major hotels (heading to a beach condo in October and have a Nashville trip booked at the Drury next June, neither of which could be booked through their portal). Dining would be short of my Savor by a point still. I'm just wondering about the online grocery bonus. What does that mean, exactly? Would using the Kroger app to order curbside pickups count as an online grocery purchase? Hmmmm......

But you're right.......time is on our side.Smiley Happy

Message 52 of 144
Anonymous
Not applicable

@credit_is_crack wrote:

@Yasselife wrote:

I am tempted to do the same and probably will soon; it's hard because I really like the lenders I have and their products. Having only 4 cards is the ideal number for me.

There's certainly an attractiveness to simplicity. I think I could live with 4 cards as well. Dining, groceries, gas, everything else.

I tried that in 2018, I closed a lot of cards. I was down to 5-discover(categories ), USAA Amex-5% gas, Citi dc-2% on everything, chase unlimited-1.5%(my oldest card, didn't want to close it)and grandfathered capital one savor-4% on dining. I wasn't fine with that so I added the 3% Amex bce for groceries early 2019 along with chase freedom. Apple Card dropped and started 4 card binge in 2019. 2020-added 4, and then 2021-added 2. I feel like reached my personal limit now. I don't think I can be a less than 5 cards person like I thought I could be. 

Message 53 of 144
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@ReturnOfTheCredi wrote:

You do make a completely valid point. I guess I was thinking about it from a more "average" spender perspective. Smiley LOL I spend around $3,000 a month and PIF. At any given time, I think my utilization is 1-3% (but only due to a couple of promotional purchases I may be carrying here or there).

So just a quick reminder for those not in this category...........think it through before you close out cards. Smiley Wink

Exactly, but for someone who pif, utilization really isnt a problem. Like i alluded to earlier, having some extra cushion might be good if a need arises and you need or want to park a balance. Low rate CU cards are great for this dual purposeSmiley Happy. To add, also one of the cooler, ingenious user names hereSmiley Wink

Message 54 of 144
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@credit_is_crack wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

...and in my case, it would. 

Thus, I'm keeping WAY too many open, empty accounts solely for the purpose of utilization padding.

Hopefully, we'll start trimming the herd next year.  Smiley Happy

When you get to a point where the padding hurts (like keeping cards open, but also have annual fees attached), then it's time to accelerate the process. I'm pretty frugal (the rich don't get rich by spending all their money!) so I have very few cards with annual fees, and the ones I do have are offset by the perks of the card. I don't have any AF cards where I end up in the negative.

After you hit a certain credit line from all the card collecting, you're really going to see banks just throwing more and more at you. Then the thinning begins! 

There also comes a time where you hit the ceiling on what  banks will give based off ones income and dti. I think im near that point so its much harder to get approvals anyway so thinning makes sense, when i can do it safely for cranberrySmiley Wink

Message 55 of 144
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Obviously a key benefit to slimming down the portfolio is ease of maintenance.   In general, as you add more and more cards, you are likely to hit diminishing returns: a slight increase in rewards on a very narrow slice of spend.        As a nasty exercise, it might be worth calculating the cost/benefit of a serious credit card hobby!    I am thinking of those with complex spreadsheets that record every detail of each card.   Increased rewards - value of Time spend vs using a flat 2% might be interesting!

Of course, it it's fun, that's different.  (Although, if it really is fun, that's a problem in itself!)

Message 56 of 144
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Obviously a key benefit to slimming down the portfolio is ease of maintenance.   In general, as you add more and more cards, you are likely to hit diminishing returns: a slight increase in rewards on a very narrow slice of spend.        As a nasty exercise, it might be worth calculating the cost/benefit of a serious credit card hobby!    I am thinking of those with complex spreadsheets that record every detail of each card.   Increased rewards - value of Time spend vs using a flat 2% might be interesting!

Of course, it it's fun, that's different.  (Although, if it really is fun, that's a problem in itself!)

This is a great point @longtimelurker . For a while I got sucked into itemizing everything so you end up with 15 cards for 15 categories. I migrated quickly when I realized my tracking didn't work well when I balanced the time it took as it overlapped with my drinking time lol (lots of double entries!). Today I clump them and use only 4 from day to day, then rotate them out for another 4 the next month. My bill cards are stationary but this way 11 are used organically all the time, and I get the biggest bang for my buck. The rest are special case (Amazon/Macy's/bestbuy/travel), but I've gained so much more time back and the rewards grow faster. 

Message 57 of 144
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Smiley Embarassed

I may or may not be guilty of this.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 58 of 144
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Smiley Embarassed

I may or may not be guilty of this.

You will find no judgements here! 

Message 59 of 144
ReturnOfTheCredi
Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

To add, also one of the cooler, ingenious user names hereSmiley Wink

I appreciate it, man!  It's not one I use anywhere else beyond here, but when I was trying to come up with a name, I think Episode VII had just been released so it was top-of-mind.  It came across my brain and I was like, "Yeah, that's pretty cool."  And here I am.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 60 of 144
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.