Did you mean: 

Off With Their Heads!!!

tag
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Re: Off With Their Heads!!!

@Anonymous wrote:

@credit_is_crack wrote:

That's crazy. I live in Greenwich CT and have Optimum. My cable, cell, gas, power and water companies don't charge for credit card payments

You're lucky! I used to live in Stamford and my utilities definitely imposed CC surcharges.

@Anonymous 

I have noticed Greenwich has it's own little set of rules compared to other parts of Connecticut, and Stamford is literally just 4 miles up the road Smiley LOL it is what it is...

Message 81 of 144
MySunrise271
Established Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@digitek wrote:

Cash+ is kind of pain to use for utilities and I don't even bother so it just does streaming/internet and only saves me $20/year

Yep, the 5% back on utilities is overrated IMO. Utilities often charge exorbitant fees for CC payments. National Grid charges a flat-rate $2, for instance. If you're a natural gas customer as I am, and use only ~$20-30 worth of gas in the summer months, that comes out to a 7-10% surcharge, so I'd come out behind even with 5% back.

Then there's my ISP. I'd pay a whopping $10 extra per month for using a CC. 5% back isn't gonna come close to covering that.

The 5% back on utilities would benefit me on my electric bill, and would benefit me on natural gas during the winter months, but eh, it's not worth it to me to have a CC just to pay 1-2 bills (not to mention needing to keep an eagle eye on my natural gas bill to see if it's worth paying by CC or not).

Wow......where do you guys live?  None of my Utility or ISP providers charge any CC fees. I hear people mention this a lot though.

Illinois ...ComEd charges a flat  fee of $1.75 for CC payments

Message 82 of 144
MeN5
Regular Contributor

@credit_is_crack @Omg I'm at the same spot I close almost 10k worth of credit last month and now I have 7 cards totaling 118000+ but my goal is to only have 3/4 cards the less the better I use to be so happy for an approval now im like meh I don't Really need this card I plan on closing 2 more cards by the end of the year

Message 83 of 144
5KRunner
Frequent Contributor

In the past few weeks, I've closed the following:

BBVA ClearPoints, $7500 CL, closed 9/8 (they've been bought by PNC and I didn't like the card they offered as a post-conversion replacement)

Citi AAdvantage, $5100 CL, closed 9/15 (got it for the SUB and now it serves no purpose in my lineup)

Wells Fargo Propel, $7500 CL, closed 9/15 (too many cards with similar bonus categories)

Discover it Miles, $5000 CL, closed 9/20 (got it for the 3x cash back in year 1, which ended in February)

So that's a total of $25,100 CL gone in the past few weeks, for a total of just under 11% of the total CL I had before. I'm left with $230,650 spread across 20 CCs, plus one charge card that's on the chopping block in the next few months.

Message 84 of 144
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

And the chopping continues! So we're about 2-3 months since I posted this and I've still been trimming the heard. 

In the last 60 days I've cut out more cards.

• Discover IT $6,500 (not feeling like chasing quarterly categories anymore)
  • 5/3 Trio MC $15,000 (literally never used it and it just hit 4 years)
  • Synovus Cash Rewards $20,000 (had high hopes for this one but never got around to actually using it and it just hit 2 years)
  • Greenstate World MC $15,000 (great 5% rate for travel and no annual fee, but the redemption process was so looong and I'm too impatient for that)
  • Chase Bonvoy Bold $10,000 (duplicate, I have the marriott business card and bonvoy brilliant)

CK keeps freaking out with the "did you close this?" emails lol Next are to axe the Nordy's VS ($13,000) and possibly Bonvoy Brilliant ($10,000) and pick up a platinum instead, we'll see. I spent so long trying to build up these cards and oddly it's even more satisfying closing them out Smiley LOL

Message 85 of 144
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@credit_is_crack  on mobile, last row in your signature is giving me brain spasms, it's not same as others.

So, you either need to apply for 3 more cards or close two more 😐  

See ⬇️? All wrong! 

Screenshot_20211108-184404_Samsung Internet.jpg

Message 86 of 144
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Remedios wrote:

@credit_is_crack  on mobile, last row in your signature is giving me brain spasms, it's not same as others.

See ⬇️? All wrong! 

Same on desktop/tablet view, 2 more to cut or add 3 more 😂

So crack man, what about that BoA biz CC?  I didn't see it as a prominent CC from your initial list of those you'd keep or close 🤷‍♂️

Message 87 of 144
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

See ⬇️? All wrong! 

I noticed the uneven setup when I was deleting cards too lol the two I have not cut that were on my original list and will even it out are my old USAA and Penfed cards. I don't use them at all other than a charge to keep them alive but they will even me out, just may be another month or so lol

Message 88 of 144
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

See ⬇️? All wrong! 

So crack man, what about that BoA biz CC?  I didn't see it as a prominent CC from your initial list of those you'd keep or close 🤷‍♂️

Now that I scooped up the Ink that BofA biz card is pretty moot. I'm going to probably work on consolidating the personal cash rewards cards first and if they approve that then I'll dump the biz card. That way I just have the one BofA card. 

Message 89 of 144
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

@credit_is_crack wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

See ⬇️? All wrong! 

Now that I scooped up the Ink that BofA biz card is pretty moot. I'm going to probably work on consolidating the personal cash rewards cards first and if they approve that then I'll dump the biz card. That way I just have the one BofA card. 

I can hear Taps gently playing in the background. I am a little shocked by some of the closures, mainly Discover....

....but if you are taking requests/suggestions, I would like to see those terrible PenFed cards go Smiley LOL I would also like to petition that silly credit union in Wisconsin to change that hilarious name. But I digress. 

Message 90 of 144
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.