Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One AMEX card only

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: One AMEX card only

@cmm89 wrote:

I just got the PRG earlier this week and I'm a huge fan. I also have the Delta Gold. I may give that up after the no-AF grace period is up, though... PRG is a keeper I think.

Could PC it to the Delta Blue card. 

Why not keep your account open so it can age? 

Message 11 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@cmm89 wrote:

I just got the PRG earlier this week and I'm a huge fan. I also have the Delta Gold. I may give that up after the no-AF grace period is up, though... PRG is a keeper I think.

Could PC it to the Delta Blue card. 

Why not keep your account open so it can age? 

1. No PCs between proprietary and cobrands anymore.

2. No PCs between charge and revolver cards.

I'm confused... 

I meant PC the Delta Gold to the Delta Blue. 

Message 12 of 80
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I have four:

Schwab Platinum: I use the travel perks and credits, though I don't spend much on it...just when I suspect I might need purchase protection or feel uneasy about a merchant.

EveryDay: Groceries and offers

Blue Cash Everyday: Offers

SPG: Off-category spend, particularly taxes and insurance.

Since shopping more at Costco, my traditional gas and grocery spend is down, so those aren't important bonus categories for me anymore.

With fewer useful offers these days, I get only limited value from ED and BCE. Still, they are occasionally useful, come with a lot of alert options, and I can call Platinum customer service with any issues on them. I've already closed several of my older cards, so in the long run it will be nice to have two more long-lived cards.

If I got rid of SPG, I'd either bonus chase frequently or want a new card with a big CL and strong base rate...2.625% from BofA is an option.

So while I have four Amex cards, Schwab Platinum would really be sufficient...if I could bonus chase or add an off-category card to my lineup.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 13 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just one? For 19 years, I only had one AMEX. Definitely doable.

But, I will keep the PLAT.
Message 14 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 2:

PRG
BCE

I will be keeping the BCE forever. Good card with no AF. I will be cancelling the PRG. Not enough benefits, too high of an AF, and very hard to use the benefits!
Message 15 of 80
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I figure it all depends on what you spend on and your goals are in regards to credit cards. I like my ED but with my low spend i figure if im gonna use an Amex, might as well get a few bucks back than nothing. Tealizing MR points are probably best used in travel , im more content to slowly phase out my other 2Smiley Wink
Message 16 of 80
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@drboxing wrote:
Just looking for input. Just wondering if there's anyone with only 1 AMEX card and is satisfied? I have the Delta Gold with $1K SL. If I get a $3000 limit that's all I need. Pay the card in full each month, card doesn't get MR but I fly Delta so the accumulated Delta points will work for me. So don't really need a charge card. What do you all think.

Who knows if anyone is ever satisfied on this forum, but there are certainly some obvious use cases.   If you are interested on cashback on groceries (and gas) but have no/little interest in travel, having a BC/BCP/BCE as your only Amex makes perfect sense.   And your case is another example, don't need MRs but want Delta miles...

IMO, multiple Amex makes more sense if you are into MRs, as the cards give opening bonuses and spending bonus in different categories.  (Similarly if you are using Chase URs, you probably want more than one)

LOL LTL!! 

I for one am never satisfied, even though I should be! But, If I can ever get back AMEX...Id be "satisfied" with one card from them....maybe.... for about a month. LOL Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who knows if anyone is ever satisfied on this forum, but there are certainly some obvious use cases.   If you are interested on cashback on groceries (and gas) but have no/little interest in travel, having a BC/BCP/BCE as your only Amex makes perfect sense.   And your case is another example, don't need MRs but want Delta miles...

IMO, multiple Amex makes more sense if you are into MRs, as the cards give opening bonuses and spending bonus in different categories.  (Similarly if you are using Chase URs, you probably want more than one)

Smiley Very Happy Sorry, this IS hilarious. Agree, I don't think we are ever satisfied with credit or AMEX in this case.

Message 18 of 80
drboxing
Established Contributor

How long ago did u lose AMEX. Happened to me back in 2007

Message 19 of 80
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Had one went to three, then back to one now back to three. I'll eventually downgrade the BCP to something else. I'll be keeping the BBP and HHAmex. Since neither of them cost me anything to keep and the BBP is hidden. We mainly used the BCP over the last two years. That's why I closed the SPG and ED.

I could definitely live with one..I'd rather have a couple though. lol

Message 20 of 80
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.