Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online, Call or In Person?

tag
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

Online, Call or In Person?

Which do you have the most success with?

Does your success differ with each bank too?

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Online, Call or In Person?

There is no difference to the above three apply methods. Because for phone and in-person apply, representative still has to type in your information to the computer and let the computer to decide. They do not have decision authority over application. Now days everything is done by computer.

Message 2 of 9
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

If you think you have a solid chance of approval apply online, if not, call. My reasoning is that you can ask for a recon while still on the phone if you're denied. They can perform their "further review" while you hold and/or answer any questions they might have.

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 3 of 9
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I would choose on-line.  Last time I did an app in-person, the csr typed all my info into her computer, then applied and approved me for the wrong card!

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 4 of 9
calihlove75
Established Contributor

I don't know that it makes a difference, but I prefer online. Nothing more embarrassing than a big fat denial while others standby and watch..lol

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 5 of 9
bribro
Valued Contributor

Online. The only time I applied for a credit card in person was for my Freedom card because I wanted to make sure it was linked to my checking accoun for 10&10/Chase Excusives, but I could have done that over the phone anyway.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 6 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Target is in store only or print application and mail.

Macy's you SHOULD do in store only (You apply online and they ONLY consider you for store, not Amex also... and Macy's is really crazy about the credit card making purchases online...

in store you can end up with store, and amex. instantly.

Message 7 of 9
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I prefer to apply online b/c I can see what I'm getting...I've only applied for credit in store twice b/c I absolutely had to...lol.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 8 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I agree in the sense that I rather apply at home when it...

@maiden_girl wrote:

I prefer to apply online b/c I can see what I'm getting...I've only applied for credit in store twice b/c I absolutely had to...lol.

I agree in the sense that I rather apply at home when it comes to banks or cards that I know I can call seconds after whatever message I get (approved, let you know, or declined) and try to get it recon, upped, or what not... I have in past done stuff in Sams store but if busy that is a pain to be on a phone at the service desk talking to underwriting!! In some cases I want them to know I got approved after they had to tell me declined!

but otherwise i rather be at home to do the phone stuff.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.