Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenSky Closing time

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

OpenSky Closing time

Hello so I have had OpenSky for a bit little over a year and a half and wondering if it's time I closed this account. Not really benefiting me anymore. Any suggestions if I should close it or still keep it. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is very hard to use the card a keep a zero balance this last period they wouldn't let me make a payment so that I could zero it out. Didn't like that at all. 
so just wanting y'all's thoughts on how or if I should close this account thank again for the help.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: OpenSky Closing time

Does closing the card effect your over all utilization? Do have better cards now? If the answer is no and yes, I'd close it, since it's served its purpose as a rebuilder. There's no point holding onto a card with an annual fee that gives no rewards. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 15
calyx
Super Contributor

Opensky has an annual fee - so I would just wait til the month before the AF hits and call them to close it (and by "I would" I mean that's what I did).   I know in the long term a few months of extra age doesn't mean a lot, but I wanted to get every penny of the AF I had paid Smiley Wink

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Probably, unless it's your oldest account or something like that.  That's why I don't like those gimmicky cards made for sub-prime borrowers rebuilding credit, i.e. OpenSky, Credit One, Mission Lane, Indigo, Merrick Bank, etc.  They all have annual fees (some from $75-$99) all for what benefit?  The right to have their no-name, no reward credit card? Even Discover secured will give you 1% back with no annual fee (and it graduates). I try to avoid cards that I know will become useless down the road.  An annual fee with most other cards will at least give you a couple free flights or hotel stays per year. 

Message 4 of 15
calyx
Super Contributor

@Anonymous - those subprime cards have their place.   When I got mine, none of the big banks would even give me a secured card.    Opensky made it possible to allow me to get usbank and citi cards and really start building my credit file.     While I don't recommend them if it can be helped, they are a godsend to some people.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@calyx wrote:

those subprime cards have their place.   When I got mine, none of the big banks would even give me a secured card.    Opensky made it possible to allow me to get usbank and citi cards and really start building my credit file.     While I don't recommend them if it can be helped, they are a godsend to some people.

Oh, I guess; that just wasn't my experience.  Back when I had bad credit I never had to get one. Even Discover wouldn't approve you?  Back in 2018 I had 0 credit cards with a medical collection for $295 (still on my report btw) and a charged off Kohls store card on my profile.  So basically two derogatories with no positive accounts.  Discover still sent me a pre-approval letter for a secured card. 

Message 6 of 15
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@calyx wrote:

those subprime cards have their place.   When I got mine, none of the big banks would even give me a secured card.    Opensky made it possible to allow me to get usbank and citi cards and really start building my credit file.     While I don't recommend them if it can be helped, they are a godsend to some people.

Oh, I guess; that just wasn't my experience.  Back when I had bad credit I never had to get one. Even Discover wouldn't approve you?  Back in 2018 I had 0 credit cards with a medical collection for $295 (still on my report btw) and a charged off Kohls store card on my profile.  So basically two derogatories with no positive accounts.  Discover still sent me a pre-approval letter for a secured card. 

OpenSky does not perform a credit check to open a credit line. That can be tremendously useful as part of a credit recovery coming out of a bankruptcy, to just have a 100% gimme card. (The annual fee is also $35, so not completely unreasonable, and OpenSky doesn't have the gimmick fees other lenders have on their credit cards.)

And frankly the "damage" from having to close a starter card if you're doing a credit rebuild from scratch isn't terrible. That closed card stays on your record for a while contributing age to your accounts. I am pretty sure that having that OpenSky card helped my recovery.

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 7 of 15
calyx
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@calyx wrote:

@Anonymous- Disco denied me, even a secured card, as did all of the other majors (even Cap1).    Opensky was not predatory (other than the AF, no weird monthly fees or anything, I don't consider them predatory, just subprime), so I went with them.   After getting a card with Opensky, I was able to get a USBank secured, which then snowballed.   I was *hoping* Disco would give me a secured card when they gave me my first unsecured card (which, for a $1200 CL, seemed amazing to me).   

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all that shared their advice. I just gonna keep it for now until late in the year and then see about closing after I try for a biz CC. Again thanks for helping in my decision making... really loving this forum.

Message 9 of 15
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Usability issues like not being able to pay when you want to are pretty big. I see that as reason enough to close.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.