Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYPAL TRANS. CC HELP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PAYPAL TRANS. CC HELP

I am purchasing an item from someone in another state and they are requesting that the funds be sent via Paypal. I typically don't use PayPal unless it's linked to Uber or something of the sort. It is a $1200 transaction and I would like to ensure that it is not processed as a cash advance. If possible, I am listing my cards below and hoping that you all can help me decide which card to use to ensure that this does not happen. Does the card itself even make a difference in this scenario?

Discover IT
Chase Freedom
Chase Freedom Unlimited
AMEX BCE
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

Re: PAYPAL TRANS. CC HELP

You can always pick a card (id use the CFU), then call the bank to deactivate cash advance to be sure. The transaction shouldn’t go through if it’s a cash advance.

[2/2019]
Message 2 of 6
imaximous
Valued Contributor

If you're buying through PayPal, it won't be a cash advance if you use a credit card, but there's going to be a fee for the $1,200 transaction. I don't know what type of deal you're negotiating, but they may want you to take care of the fee, which I believe is 2.7% of the transaction. Are you buying from a private person or a business? if it's a business, your cost should be the $1,200 only, but if purchasing from a person, then you may have to pay that fee if they don't agree to cover it.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes any purchase with paypal is treated as a charge not a cash advance

Message 4 of 6
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

As somebody that buys & sells online and uses PP a LOT please send that payment "goods & services"!!!

They may try to get you to send it "friends & family" to avoid fees but if you do and the purchase goes sour, you have no recourse.

If you send it "goods & services" you have PP's guarantee.

I don't know if this is a person you know or if it's a stranger- but if it's the latter be careful and use G & S. I've seen a LOT of fraud & theft via online sales.. Never receiving an item, receiving an item not as listed, counterfeit items and the list goes on. Be safe..

Good Luck.. 

Message 5 of 6
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

It is not cash advance, but there is a fee to send money using credit/debit card. 

Here are the list of fees: Credit Card Fees, Send Money Fees & Other Charges - PayPal US

If you are a U.S. PayPal account holder sending money to a friend or family member with a PayPal account in the U.S., you may pay a fee, depending on how you pay.

Payment method: Fees:
Funded by your PayPal balance or a bank account linked to your PayPal account.Fee is waived.
Funded by a credit card, debit card or PayPal Credit.2.9% of the amount funded this way, plus a fixed fee (from the table below) based on the currency of the transaction.

Do note that sending as "goods & services" will charge the recipient a receiving fee. You might want to clear this up with the recipient.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.