Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Freedom to CSP?

tag
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

PC Freedom to CSP?

I’m stuck in 5/24 for the next two years. Is it possible to change my freedom card to a CSP once it hits a year old? Will I be eligible for a sapphire bonus is the future? Is this recommended?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: PC Freedom to CSP?

@ToxikPH wrote:  I’m stuck in 5/24 for the next two years. Is it possible to change my freedom card to a CSP once it hits a year old? Will I be eligible for a sapphire bonus is the future? Is this recommended?

Yes, you can pc your CF to a CSP.  (I can't verify how long it has to be open to pc but one year should be good.)  However, I'm not sure that's a good idea based on the second part of your question.

You are eligible for a Sapphire-family bonus if (1) you don't have a Sapphire card (CSP or CSR) *AND* (2) you haven't received a sapphire-family bonus in the past 48 months.  So even if you just pc into the CSP without ever getting a bonus, you are ineligible for a bonus if you apply for a new sapphire card.  Plus, you wouldn't want both Sapphire cards; one is all you need.  The Sapphire cards are great and I highly recommend them.  As long as the SUBs hold out, I would wait and just apply for one of them once you're under 5/24.

Plus ... the basic Freedom and the Freedom Unlimited become even more valuable when paired with a CSP or CSR.  You might want to hang onto it.  You'll get 25% more value in UR points on the CSP and 50% more value in UR points on the CSR.  (So that 5% cash back can turn into 6.25% or 7.5% UR points, respectively.)  If you think you need something more valuable on day-to-day purchases than the Freedom, you might consider pc-ing it into the Freedom Unlimited instead of the Sapphire.  Then later, you can apply for a new Freedom card after you get your Sapphire card and now you would have the "Trifecta" as it is called.  

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 2 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

The only Chase PC I've done was CSP to CFU, so others will have to answer this...

Would they require the Freedom to have a $5k minimum CL? Your Freedom is only at $2k.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only real hinderance is the CARD requirements. 

Can't change your AF more than 25% in the first 12 months.

The 5K approval minimum may apply though, in the past I got the CSP @ 25,900 and before a year hit I dropped it to $900 and swapped it to a CF to park the card in case I want to PC it down the road.

The 48 month bonus issue shouldn't apply since you're not going to get a bonus for a PC.  It's totally possible though even though you're 5/24 now you might still be able to snag a bonus through an in branch pre-approval.

You do have 2 cards at 5K according to your signature that satisfies the 1 year 5K minimum CL Chase looks for.  I would focus efforts getting those limits up in the meantime to say 10K so, if your spend changes and you want to go for CSR instead you would be capable of that as well.

Message 4 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Also, given that you have quite a few different rewards programs for your spend level, you might not actually earn a meaningful number of UR points. The card may not be worthwhile with the AF due the first year and no bonus.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP what is your intended use of a CSP? I tend to agree the other cards you have will get you nearly the same ( or more ) rewards value than a CSP without bonus.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 11
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@ToxikPH wrote:  I’m stuck in 5/24 for the next two years. Is it possible to change my freedom card to a CSP once it hits a year old? Will I be eligible for a sapphire bonus is the future? Is this recommended?

Yes, you can pc your CF to a CSP.  (I can't verify how long it has to be open to pc but one year should be good.)  However, I'm not sure that's a good idea based on the second part of your question.

You are eligible for a Sapphire-family bonus if (1) you don't have a Sapphire card (CSP or CSR) *AND* (2) you haven't received a sapphire-family bonus in the past 48 months.  So even if you just pc into the CSP without ever getting a bonus, you are ineligible for a bonus if you apply for a new sapphire card.  Plus, you wouldn't want both Sapphire cards; one is all you need.  The Sapphire cards are great and I highly recommend them.  As long as the SUBs hold out, I would wait and just apply for one of them once you're under 5/24.

Plus ... the basic Freedom and the Freedom Unlimited become even more valuable when paired with a CSP or CSR.  You might want to hang onto it.  You'll get 25% more value in UR points on the CSP and 50% more value in UR points on the CSR.  (So that 5% cash back can turn into 6.25% or 7.5% UR points, respectively.)  If you think you need something more valuable on day-to-day purchases than the Freedom, you might consider pc-ing it into the Freedom Unlimited instead of the Sapphire.  Then later, you can apply for a new Freedom card after you get your Sapphire card and now you would have the "Trifecta" as it is called.  

I don't believe you can even get a second Sapphire card if you already have one, I have heard it's an auto-decline. So OP would need to close the CSP account and then apply for a fresh Sapphire card.

I absolutely agree with you that OP should just keep the Freedom and apply for a Sapphire later, as both the CF and CFU cards are very excellent cards to pair with the Sapphire cards - that's why I got both in the same day Smiley Very Happy

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 7 of 11
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote: 
The only real hinderance is the CARD requirements. 

Can't change your AF more than 25% in the first 12 months.

Interesting, I had not thought of CARD ACT restrictions.  However, I looked that up and don't think it applies.  The paragraph to which you refer was aimed at protecting subprime cardholders with low credit lines getting dinged with excessive fees by shady lenders.  The 25% is relative to the credit line, so 25% of $2000 CL = $500 in fees that the CARD ACT would restrict in this situation to protect the OP in year one. (That wouldn't stop Chase from giving him the CSP or the CSR since their AFs are less than $500.) 

"The CARD Act includes a provision regulating subprime credit cards. These cards are marketed to consumers with poor credit histories and are characterized by low credit limits (usually less than $300) and high fees to open the account. After required fees are charged to the card at account opening, the available credit for these cards can be less than $100. Section 226.52 addresses this issue by restricting the amount of required fees that can be billed during the first year a credit card account is opened (other than any late fee, over-the-limit fee, or fee for a payment returned for insufficient funds) to no more than 25 percent of the credit limit." (consumercomplianceoutlook.org)

Business Cards

Message 8 of 11
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Would they require the Freedom to have a $5k minimum CL? Your Freedom is only at $2k.

That's a great point and I think they would.

CSP is Visa Signature with minimum CL $5K.

CSR is Visa Infinite with minimum CL $10K.

(IF) they allowed a pc, he might have to still allow a hard pull to enlarge the CL to at least $5K.

I think it could be done, but that as has been pointed out, there are better options than just converting the CF to CSP.  It's definitely a waste of a good SUB, if nothing else. 

Business Cards

Message 9 of 11
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

Can I even PC before the card is a year old? I know the card act says I can’t until the 13th month, is that true?
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.