Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC from a Student IT to a Regular IT

tag
Jungook
Regular Contributor

PC from a Student IT to a Regular IT

Would it be possible to PC to a Regular IT while still being a student?

Seeing that student cards are often stifled in growth, I would like to PC to the regular IT as quickly as I can to allow it to grow quickly.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
charleeislegend
Regular Contributor

Re: PC from a Student IT to a Regular IT

I believe it automatically upgrades after 2 years
Credit Karma (TU) : 810 Discover FICO (TU): 805 Credit Sesame (EX): 805 myFICO (EQ) - 791
Amex Simplycash Business - $15000 Citi Costco - $12000 Citi Double Cash - $10000 Discover IT - $12000 Chase Sapphire Reserve - $32000
Message 2 of 13
blackhawk2
Valued Member

They might be willing to do a PC, but I'm not sure if it's necessary in order to "grow." Discover gave me 2-3 auto CLIs and more than doubled my credit limit in the first year when I had a student card.

Amex BCE 18k I Amex SPG 6k I CSP 8k I Chase Marriott 7k I Discover It 3.5k I Chase Freedom 2.1k

EX: 735 | EQ: 767 | TU: 770

Credit cards are great when you don't need them.
Message 3 of 13
shane82388
Established Contributor

Granted, I briefly looked a while ago...but i cant really see any difference between the two types of Discover IT cards...?

Anyone point out the differences? Is the Student card just easier to get with less credit history?

Message 4 of 13
megaman1
Regular Contributor

I called them up once. There are no differences except the amount of credit they are willing to give you.
Message 5 of 13
k-s
Regular Contributor

@megaman1 wrote:
I called them up once. There are no differences except the amount of credit they are willing to give you.

And what was the answer t o the question of how much credit they're willing to give you? I have the student version and was instantly approved for 4K. It's a new account, so I haven't had any CLIs yet. Is there a hard cap on the max CL? If so, what is it?

EQ MyFICO: 719 - Discover It TU FICO: 749 - EX 728
Amex PRG: NPSL | Amex Blue Sky: 2k | Amex BCE: 10k | Amex TrueEarnings: 5k | Amex Delta Gold: 2k | Discover It: 4k | SFCU: 13k | Quicksilver: 4k | Venture: 10k | Freedom: 2k | CSP: 7.5k | Amazon Visa: 5k | Citi TYPremier: 6.3k | Best Buy: 4.5k | Macy's Amex: 6k | Nordstrom: 4k | Old Navy Visa: 4k | Target: $1.2k | Angel: 1k
Message 6 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@k-s wrote:

@megaman1 wrote:

And what was the answer t o the question of how much credit they're willing to give you? I have the student version and was instantly approved for 4K. It's a new account, so I haven't had any CLIs yet. Is there a hard cap on the max CL? If so, what is it?

Most student cc's have cl caps

Message 7 of 13
brikays
Regular Contributor

@blackhawk2 wrote:

They might be willing to do a PC, but I'm not sure if it's necessary in order to "grow." Discover gave me 2-3 auto CLIs and more than doubled my credit limit in the first year when I had a student card.

Did you have to call to PC to the regular IT card or was it auto?

~ Hover over cards to view limits ~

Message 8 of 13
k-s
Regular Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@k-s wrote:

@megaman1 wrote:

I figured that, but do you happen to know what the cap is on the Discover It student? I'm not expecting it to grow to my highest CL (that's what AMEX and my CU is for Smiley Wink, but it would be interesting to know what to expect from this card.

EQ MyFICO: 719 - Discover It TU FICO: 749 - EX 728
Amex PRG: NPSL | Amex Blue Sky: 2k | Amex BCE: 10k | Amex TrueEarnings: 5k | Amex Delta Gold: 2k | Discover It: 4k | SFCU: 13k | Quicksilver: 4k | Venture: 10k | Freedom: 2k | CSP: 7.5k | Amazon Visa: 5k | Citi TYPremier: 6.3k | Best Buy: 4.5k | Macy's Amex: 6k | Nordstrom: 4k | Old Navy Visa: 4k | Target: $1.2k | Angel: 1k
Message 9 of 13
shane82388
Established Contributor

@k-s wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@k-s wrote:

@megaman1 wrote:

I figured that, but do you happen to know what the cap is on the Discover It student? I'm not expecting it to grow to my highest CL (that's what AMEX and my CU is for Smiley Wink, but it would be interesting to know what to expect from this card.

My little sister just got one...so im sure she will get some CLI's from the initial $1000 limit...but is she gonna be able to PC it to a "big kid" card?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.