Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC'ing QS to Venture?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PC'ing QS to Venture?

Hey yall! I have an offer on my current QS (current limit of $9k after I combined a Plat $5k and QS $4k in March) to PC to Venture (I honestly forgot if it was Venture or Venture One). 

I have finally gotten "out of debt" and will be utilizing my CC's the smart way as in PIF every month and/or taking advantage of bal trans. offers. 

Would PC'ing to the Venture automatically qualify me for higher CLIs? Or does it look "more prime" than the QS?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: PC'ing QS to Venture?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey yall! I have an offer on my current QS (current limit of $9k after I combined a Plat $5k and QS $4k in March) to PC to Venture (I honestly forgot if it was Venture or Venture One). 

I have finally gotten "out of debt" and will be utilizing my CC's the smart way as in PIF every month and/or taking advantage of bal trans. offers. 

Would PC'ing to the Venture automatically qualify me for higher CLIs? Or does it look "more prime" than the QS?

Thanks!

Congrats on your awesome progress!

To start with, "prime" is subjective, so only you can define that for yourself.

Here's what I would think about before moving forward:

First, there's quite a bit of difference between a Venture and a Venture One.  I can see very little reason for someone with a QS to change to Venture One, because the rewards rate would be reduced, and you would have additional restrictions on rewards redemption.  Sometimes folks will PC to a Venture One if they just 'need' to PC, for example to get upgraded to a World MasterCard (and even then they usually plan to PC right back to QS later on) but other than that it wouldn't make sense.

Second, if you are talking about a PC to a Venture, there's an AF involved - $59/year.  So even at an increased rewards rate of 2% you would have to spend $12,000 each year to earn enough in rewards to make a Venture more rewarding than a Quicksilver.

If you're interested in a Venture, the best route is usually to apply for it, that way you can earn the new account bonus, and before the first year is over you can PC to a Quicksilver (avoiding the AF altogether). 

Just my 2¢.  Smiley Very Happy

Side note:  as far as 'looks' go, when someone looks at your credit file all they will see is 'Capital One' and an account number, not your rewards type.  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

First, there's quite a bit of difference between a Venture and a Venture One.  I can see very little reason for someone with a QS to change to Venture One, because the rewards rate would be reduced, and you would have additional restrictions on rewards redemption.  Sometimes folks will PC to a Venture One if they just 'need' to PC, for example to get upgraded to a World MasterCard (and even then they usually plan to PC right back to QS later on) but other than that it wouldn't make sense.

Second, if you are talking about a PC to a Venture, there's an AF involved - $59/year.  So even at an increased rewards rate of 2% you would have to spend $12,000 each year to earn enough in rewards to make a Venture more rewarding than a Quicksilver.

If you're interested in a Venture, the best route is usually to apply for it, that way you can earn the new account bonus, and before the first year is over you can PC to a Quicksilver (avoiding the AF altogether). 

Side note:  as far as 'looks' go, when someone looks at your credit file all they will see is 'Capital One' and an account number, not your rewards type.  Smiley Wink

Wow!! Good to know.  I guess I will PC my Venture once it is eligible or combine it with my QS CL. How long does an account need to be open to qualify for this?

Message 3 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

Wow!! Good to know.  I guess I will PC my Venture once it is eligible or combine it with my QS CL. How long does an account need to be open to qualify for this?

If you want to PC a Venture to a QS you can pretty much try anytime... some people have even had luck with cards that are only a month or so old, other times it takes a little longer.  The worst that can happen if you ask is they say no!  Smiley Wink

The account combination is a little more YMMV at the moment... it's advertised that each account should be at least six months old, but people have been able to combine recently with only one of the accounts over six months old.  Adding to the confusion, there are some people who meet all the published criteria who for no obvious reason are not able to combine.  Note that account combinations are only available online - if there is a problem a CSR is not able to assist (not even the EO can help).

Hope this helps!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

The venture needs to be open 6 months and $0 balance. Don't PC to the venture though. That's not a good mood and I can't think of any benefit. It won't open you up to higher CLs
Message 5 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Note about combining accounts:  if you're eligible for a CLI (or about to be) be sure to get it before combining the accounts, since the combination itself will most likely reset your six month 'clock'. 

A CLI will not impact your ability to combine.  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

The PC will 100% reset the clock because it's an increase in credit limits.
Message 7 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
The PC will 100% reset the clock because it's an increase in credit limits.

I'm pretty darn sure it will (i.e. I agree!), but the last time I said something was 100% someone make a liar out of me, so unless we're talking about the sun setting in the west I refrain from absolutes now... LOL  Smiley LOL

Edit:  you mean account combination, not PC, right?

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Account combo, yes. My bad. I stay away from absolutes like CLIs or approvals or things of that nature. When it comes to resetting clocks..it's pretty certain Smiley Happy and idc if someone calls me a liar or I am wrong. I don't have community leader tied to my name so I have no standards to uphold in that regard lol c
Message 9 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Account combo, yes. My bad. I stay away from absolutes like CLIs or approvals or things of that nature. When it comes to resetting clocks..it's pretty certain Smiley Happy and idc if someone calls me a liar or I am wrong. I don't have community leader tied to my name so I have no standards to uphold in that regard lol c

Hey now, I thought you had high standards - otherwise what does that say about who you choose as your friends on here? 

<clears throat>

Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.