Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC'ing QS to Venture?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PC'ing QS to Venture?

Haha. I don't purposely screw up! And I don't screw up too often actually.
Message 11 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Haha. I don't purposely screw up! And I don't screw up too often actually.

Nah, buddy you're fine.  Just remember when somebody asks, you tell them you have "high standards" as to who you hang out with. Smiley Tongue

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fine. Smiley Very Happy
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey yall! I have an offer on my current QS (current limit of $9k after I combined a Plat $5k and QS $4k in March) to PC to Venture (I honestly forgot if it was Venture or Venture One). 

I have finally gotten "out of debt" and will be utilizing my CC's the smart way as in PIF every month and/or taking advantage of bal trans. offers. 

Would PC'ing to the Venture automatically qualify me for higher CLIs? Or does it look "more prime" than the QS?

Thanks!

Congrats on your awesome progress!

To start with, "prime" is subjective, so only you can define that for yourself.

Here's what I would think about before moving forward:

First, there's quite a bit of difference between a Venture and a Venture One.  I can see very little reason for someone with a QS to change to Venture One, because the rewards rate would be reduced, and you would have additional restrictions on rewards redemption.  Sometimes folks will PC to a Venture One if they just 'need' to PC, for example to get upgraded to a World MasterCard (and even then they usually plan to PC right back to QS later on) but other than that it wouldn't make sense.

Second, if you are talking about a PC to a Venture, there's an AF involved - $59/year.  So even at an increased rewards rate of 2% you would have to spend $12,000 each year to earn enough in rewards to make a Venture more rewarding than a Quicksilver.

If you're interested in a Venture, the best route is usually to apply for it, that way you can earn the new account bonus, and before the first year is over you can PC to a Quicksilver (avoiding the AF altogether). 

Just my 2¢.  Smiley Very Happy

Side note:  as far as 'looks' go, when someone looks at your credit file all they will see is 'Capital One' and an account number, not your rewards type.  Smiley Wink

Thank you very much for your 2 cents! It def makes sense, and I think I will just be sitting put. 

Althoughhhhhh now I have another question. Is this World Mastercard viewed 'better' than Visa? I don't utlilize (more so because I don't think I know what they are) the benefits, but does World Mastercard offer more?

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
The venture needs to be open 6 months and $0 balance. Don't PC to the venture though. That's not a good mood and I can't think of any benefit. It won't open you up to higher CLs

Thanks Smiley Happy I agree. Don't think its of much benefit for me. 

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

The two aren't really viewed differently and the CBs don't know which is which. Maybe their internal system sees something different but that isn't 100% confirmed
Message 16 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey yall! I have an offer on my current QS (current limit of $9k after I combined a Plat $5k and QS $4k in March) to PC to Venture (I honestly forgot if it was Venture or Venture One). 

I have finally gotten "out of debt" and will be utilizing my CC's the smart way as in PIF every month and/or taking advantage of bal trans. offers. 

Would PC'ing to the Venture automatically qualify me for higher CLIs? Or does it look "more prime" than the QS?

Thanks!

Congrats on your awesome progress!

To start with, "prime" is subjective, so only you can define that for yourself.

Here's what I would think about before moving forward:

First, there's quite a bit of difference between a Venture and a Venture One.  I can see very little reason for someone with a QS to change to Venture One, because the rewards rate would be reduced, and you would have additional restrictions on rewards redemption.  Sometimes folks will PC to a Venture One if they just 'need' to PC, for example to get upgraded to a World MasterCard (and even then they usually plan to PC right back to QS later on) but other than that it wouldn't make sense.

Second, if you are talking about a PC to a Venture, there's an AF involved - $59/year.  So even at an increased rewards rate of 2% you would have to spend $12,000 each year to earn enough in rewards to make a Venture more rewarding than a Quicksilver.

If you're interested in a Venture, the best route is usually to apply for it, that way you can earn the new account bonus, and before the first year is over you can PC to a Quicksilver (avoiding the AF altogether). 

Just my 2¢.  Smiley Very Happy

Side note:  as far as 'looks' go, when someone looks at your credit file all they will see is 'Capital One' and an account number, not your rewards type.  Smiley Wink

Thank you very much for your 2 cents! It def makes sense, and I think I will just be sitting put. 

Althoughhhhhh now I have another question. Is this World Mastercard viewed 'better' than Visa? I don't utlilize (more so because I don't think I know what they are) the benefits, but does World Mastercard offer more?

You're welcome!  Smiley Wink

To have a 'World' MasterCard the credit limit on the account (usually) has to be over $5k.  With Capital One, there is no clear path to a World MasterCard (a.k.a. WMC) upgrade; some people have contacted the EO to get upgraded to WMC (or Visa Signature) but generally the most pain-free way to get it is to change to another product once your credit line is over $5k.  When you do this, usually the new card you get will have the 'World' designation.  This (usually) works the same way with being upgraded to Visa Signature (for holders of a Visa platinum card).

The difference in the 'perks' are at the network-level, and for specific WMC info you can check here:

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/find-card-products/credit-cards/world.html

I'll also note that specific to Capital One there is an exception to the WMC $5k credit line requirement:  BuyPower Mastercard accounts usually come as a WMC regardless of the credit line (sometimes even under $1k).  The $5k requirement seems to only matter with Capital One when it comes to Venture or QS.  I'll also note that the $5k requirement also varies from issuer to issuer; the info here is specific to Capital One.  Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 18
Absolution16
Frequent Contributor

OP,

How has your Cap1 experience been so far?  I am barely getting into Cap1 world, so was just curious.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.