Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal Cashback MC

tag
charlie619
Valued Member

PayPal Cashback MC

Hey guys I just received an email from PayPal that says I’ve been “selected to apply based on your PayPal history”

Does anyone know if they actually look at your PayPal history and include that in their decision making or just a marketing tactic to get you to apply.

They are doing a 4% Cashback as opposed to 2% and I’m tempted.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: PayPal Cashback MC

Most emails like that from Paypal are usually marketing. If you feel your current profile warrants this card and puts you in a good position for approval, go for itSmiley Wink the 4% is most likely limited but still niceSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 9
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

It is a marketing scheme. I have been sent those emails multiple times a month. Mind you, I rarely use PayPal (occassional Rakuten cash back deposits) and they keep saying "based on your paypal history". LOL. What history? LOL. These emails seems to be generic and nowhere near the "pre-approval/pre-qualify" realms. 

On that note, I really want to apply. They are having a promo for 90 days at 4% back then it goes back to 2%, but that will generate a lot of cash back for me. But I think Paypal is by Synchrony Bank and I am not sure if they will say yes (I got approved for the Amazon Store Card last month; not sure if Synchrony Bank has a "waiting period" between applying for multipe cards issued by them).

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got an "invited to apply" for Paypal credit first, then the MasterCard a  month later.

As far as I can tell from their site, I'd never used the paypal account before then except to set it up and link bank and credit cards. I did use the Paypal credit once before applying for the Mastercard, about $111, paid in full

Message 4 of 9
charlie619
Valued Member

Well the reason I was asking was because I do actually use PayPal and over the last year there has been a relatively large sum of money that’s moved through there this year and figured if they actually factored PayPal history I have a great shot at getting approved. Ehh I don’t want to risk the HP for a card that I’m not 100% on. Guess I’ll wait for something else to come along.
Message 5 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yea no pure marketing. I've gotten those same emails and I haven't used PayPal or run any money through it in years. lol

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 9
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@GoldenloveNY wrote:

It is a marketing scheme. I have been sent those emails multiple times a month. Mind you, I rarely use PayPal (occassional Rakuten cash back deposits) and they keep saying "based on your paypal history". LOL. What history? LOL. These emails seems to be generic and nowhere near the "pre-approval/pre-qualify" realms. 

On that note, I really want to apply. They are having a promo for 90 days at 4% back then it goes back to 2%, but that will generate a lot of cash back for me. But I think Paypal is by Synchrony Bank and I am not sure if they will say yes (I got approved for the Amazon Store Card last month; not sure if Synchrony Bank has a "waiting period" between applying for multipe cards issued by them).

Assuming you got the same 4% offer as I did, that 4% is limited to 90 days after account opening, and you can get a maximum of $200 cashback from the 4%.   That equates to $5,000 in spend.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 7 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Everytime I login to PayPal to go to my PP MC account. I have to hit proceed pass the regular PP Card. Yo dummies. I got the MC. Drop the splash page already. As others have said.....marketing.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Assuming you have a 2% card anyway using this offers additonal 2% comes out to an extra $100 in cash back. Is $100 worth a hard pull to you? My Philosophy is....finances over score, but yomv

Check the approvals section and compare your profile. Synchrony is pretty reliable. Meaning similar profiles tend to yield similar results. Compared to Capital One and Discover which generally appear to be an ever changing black box of confusion.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.