Did you mean: 

PayPal Debit card with 5% categories?!

tag
unsungivy
Established Contributor

PayPal Debit card with 5% categories?!

This seems new:

How to earn rewards 

The PayPal Debit Card lets you earn 5% cash back on a monthly category of your choice, whether you're shopping in-store or online. The categories are:

groceries

gas

restaurants

clothing

health and beauty

Your selected monthly category expires at the end of each month, so you'll need to log into your PayPal app to choose a category offer each month, even if you select the same category.

PayPal limits the cash back to up to $1,000 of spending in your chosen category each month, which means you pocket an extra $50 for every month you max out your spending.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/select/paypal-debit-card-earns-5percent-cash-back/

Uh, a 1k cap is twice the spend on a Citi Custom Cash monthly. Did a debit card just become the best Groceries card?

Also a valid U.S. Restaurants choice if you didn't get the Redstone, since 5% in Dining is rare.

I initially saw this in the PayPal app, and went looking to see what the monthly categories were.

Additionally, since you can auto-load PayPal WITH a debit card, might work for a few of the 1%+ debit cards out there for stacking bonuses?

Authorized User -
Biz - Sock Drawer'd -
Message 1 of 57
56 REPLIES 56
MissLiz
Established Contributor

Re: PayPal Debit card with 5% categories?!

There was a post about this last month:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/PayPal-5-cash-back-debit-card/m-p/6782897#M261805 

“A woman’s best protection is a little money of her own.” – Clare Boothe Luce
Message 2 of 57
unsungivy
Established Contributor

@MissLiz wrote:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/PayPal-5-cash-back-debit-card/m-p/6782897#M261805 

Huh, I searched for "PayPal Debit" and didn't find that at all. Maybe because it's hidden off in a "lesser" forum.

I had P2 grab it just now. It didn't show up for him on the website, just via the PayPal app on the phone, which is where I originally saw it myself. Doing so, it was easy, just a few clicks. Picked Restaurants as the 5% category for the rest of the month, and requested a physical card be sent.

Authorized User -
Biz - Sock Drawer'd -
Message 3 of 57
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@unsungivy wrote:

@MissLiz wrote:

Huh, I searched for "PayPal Debit" and didn't find that at all. Maybe because it's hidden off in a "lesser" forum.

Yes, personal finance doesn't seem a great choice as this is really acting very much like a credit card.   Just activated mine to see what happens.  I have both a personal and biz account so must make sure not to mix them up

Message 4 of 57
unsungivy
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@unsungivy wrote:

@MissLiz wrote:

Yes, personal finance doesn't seem a great choice as this is really acting very much like a credit card.   Just activated mine to see what happens.  I have both a personal and biz account so must make sure not to mix them up

Yeah for all intents and purposes, this should be part of a 5% CC lineup, even though it's not technically a CC. Seems like a fantastic addition... too bad it has FTF!

Authorized User -
Biz - Sock Drawer'd -
Message 5 of 57
ElvisCaprice
Contributor

No SUB, but no hard pull either.  Have it already, but haven't done a thing with it.  Maybe one of the special offers along with a category might come in handy someday?  

BofA Platinum Honors:
Citi:

U.S. Bank:

Current Churn For SUB:

Backup Socks:

Debit Card:
Message 6 of 57
Wu-Credit
Frequent Contributor

@unsungivy wrote:

Additionally, since you can auto-load PayPal WITH a debit card, might work for a few of the 1%+ debit cards out there for stacking bonuses?

Matches perfectly with the Affinity Debit with the same cap. Makes it 6% for me Smiley Wink

Cards & Loans

myFICO | 747↓
Message 7 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@unsungivy wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote

Yeah for all intents and purposes, this should be part of a 5% CC lineup, even though it's not technically a CC. Seems like a fantastic addition... too bad it has FTF!

I posted this in the other less seen thread. I will post it here as well.

--------

I do not have a Costco membership, nor do I want one, so I can't test this myself and report my findings.

Costco payment is Visa or "Most Pin based Debit Cards" and a quick look says Costco gas codes as gas.

So, the 5% question is will the Paypal Debit Card with "Gas" choosen as the monthy catagory work at the Costco gas stations?

Message 8 of 57
ElvisCaprice
Contributor

I do not have a Costco membership, nor do I want one, so I can't test this myself and report my findings.

Costco payment is Visa or "Most Pin based Debit Cards" and a quick look says Costco gas codes as gas.

So, the 5% question is will the Paypal Debit Card with "Gas" choosen as the monthy catagory work at the Costco gas stations?

I don't see why not, as long as you have available funds in the account.  I would check but I drive Electric these days.  Don't miss gas powered one bit.  

BofA Platinum Honors:
Citi:

U.S. Bank:

Current Churn For SUB:

Backup Socks:

Debit Card:
Message 9 of 57
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Since it's a debit card, you'll need to keep $1000 in a non-interest-bearing account.  If we value MMAs or HYSAs at 5% APY right now, then (1/12) (5%) ($1,000) = $4.17 not earned each month.  $50-$4.17 = $45.83 = 4.58% CB, not 5%.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 10 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.