Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Balance Transfer

tag
Blu617
Valued Member

PenFed Balance Transfer

Hey All,

I was curious if this would work. I just got a PenFed PCR and Gold Card. The Gold Card has a 15 month BT offer. I'm in the process of making a large purchase (a vehicle) and I was wondering if I could write one of the BT checks to the dealer to take advantage of the BT offer? This may be a stupid question, I'm just not very familiar with using BT checks.

Thank you

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: PenFed Balance Transfer

@Blu617 wrote:

Hey All,

I was curious if this would work. I just got a PenFed PCR and Gold Card. The Gold Card has a 15 month BT offer. I'm in the process of making a large purchase (a vehicle) and I was wondering if I could write one of the BT checks to the dealer to take advantage of the BT offer? This may be a stupid question, I'm just not very familiar with using BT checks.

There are no stupid questions! Smiley Happy

You need to read the fine print on the BT offer. It will spell out any limitations that may exist for using the money. For example, almost all banks restrict using a BT from them to pay them, in other words, you can't get a BT from Amex and then pay off your Amex CC with it. There are all sorts of limitations, and they vary by bank, so go back to the actual offer and read its terms and conditions. That should provide your answer! As long as it doesn't explicitly exclude vehicle purchases, you should be fine.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 2 of 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

While you may be OK from the PenFed fine print to write one of those checks to the auto dealer, the auto dealer is going to look at it as funny munny. As a Balance Transfer Check, it is still open to be declined by PenFed, and by that time you've driven the car home.

A better path will be to see whether PenFed allows you to write the check to deposit to your checking account, then when you are certain the funds have nestled in your checking account, you can write a check to the dealer with confidence. The dealer will want to call the bank to confirm funds.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 5
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

While you may be OK from the PenFed fine print to write one of those checks to the auto dealer, the auto dealer is going to look at it as funny munny. As a Balance Transfer Check, it is still open to be declined by PenFed, and by that time you've driven the car home.

A better path will be to see whether PenFed allows you to write the check to deposit to your checking account, then when you are certain the funds have nestled in your checking account, you can write a check to the dealer with confidence. The dealer will want to call the bank to confirm funds.

Those penfed bt checks can be used to deposit funds into your bank account. last week a csr instructed me i could do so, to the op before you do anything just call them and ask.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 2100/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos ,most are slightly above 700, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's

TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 4 of 5
pip3man
Valued Contributor

OP instead of writing the dealer a check using the BT check, make the BT check payable to yourself and deposit it in your regular bank account. When the funds becomes available, you may then write a check to the dealership directly from that checking account. Just remember to factor in the BT fee and the transfer amount cos both total can't exceed your limit otherwise the transaction will be declined. I have a bunch of those BT check from PenFed sitting in my drawer and they personally asked me to use them to write a check to myself but I really have no need for that.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.