Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed CC fraud this morning

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

PenFed CC fraud this morning

So I have never had fraud on any of my CC's over the years other than someone I knew about 12 years ago or so taking a cc out of my car and using it for some stuff..

Anyways found it interesting today and just happened to be on PenFed site today checking my checking balance and primary FI and noticed something looked strange today on my PCR that is 30k had $29973 or similar available had me scratching my head clicked on it and saw a pending express charge and I don't shop at express.  anyways called them up and told them and they also saw a target.com 170ish dollar charge as well that was declined due to speculation of fraud.  Regardless had them cancel the card and re-issue a new one so should get it here sometime in the next week or two.  What I find strange about this is I have had that card in my safe for about 4-5 months now.  So always wonder how they get these card #'s if penfed was hacked or just pure luck, etc..  I guess i am more surprised it has never happened before.  I guess what scared me is I recently sold my house as building a new house and had ALOT of cash (proceeds from sale of house and other money) in my checking account with a tied debit card.  Has me a bit freaked out, think I will transfer that to my savings account with them so no one has direct access in case debit was compromised as well.   Just found it strange is all as very careful with my CC's and havent used that one online for at least 4-5 months so doubtful it was from that.  Suspect I will never know how it happened.

Kinda suprised they didn't make me sign anything stating it wasn't my charges etc., suspect cause it was such a small amount.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Bradac56
Regular Contributor

Re: PenFed CC fraud this morning

Target fraud is still pretty rampent.  It's a pretty easy scam but it's also pretty easy to catch thankfully.

It's not to hard to come up with CC numbers.  I worked at IBM in the mid 90's building early era website shoping systems and I could make up fake numbers that could pass a Visa/MC ACH push before getting flagged.  The harder part now adays is getting the exp date and CVV to match.  More than likely they got your info from a hack'ed 3rd party DB rather than stalking you which is much harder than it looks on tv.

Message 2 of 19
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

So I have never had fraud on any of my CC's over the years other than someone I knew about 12 years ago or so taking a cc out of my car and using it for some stuff..

Anyways found it interesting today and just happened to be on PenFed site today checking my checking balance and primary FI and noticed something looked strange today on my PCR that is 30k had $29973 or similar available had me scratching my head clicked on it and saw a pending express charge and I don't shop at express.  anyways called them up and told them and they also saw a target.com 170ish dollar charge as well that was declined due to speculation of fraud.  Regardless had them cancel the card and re-issue a new one so should get it here sometime in the next week or two.  What I find strange about this is I have had that card in my safe for about 4-5 months now.  So always wonder how they get these card #'s if penfed was hacked or just pure luck, etc..  I guess i am more surprised it has never happened before.  I guess what scared me is I recently sold my house as building a new house and had ALOT of cash (proceeds from sale of house and other money) in my checking account with a tied debit card.  Has me a bit freaked out, think I will transfer that to my savings account with them so no one has direct access in case debit was compromised as well.   Just found it strange is all as very careful with my CC's and havent used that one online for at least 4-5 months so doubtful it was from that.  Suspect I will never know how it happened.

Kinda suprised they didn't make me sign anything stating it wasn't my charges etc., suspect cause it was such a small amount.

PF saw that it was a charge from Express and know you aren't a 17 y.o. buying a tankini.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 19
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I had this happen on my BBVA ClearPoints in December. In my case, a company started running multiple small (like $15) charges through the card one morning. My purchase alerts started going crazy and I turned the card off and contacted BBVA. I had to get a new card issued, etc. 

190BDA26-C63B-4324-ACE3-5EBB9D8B878A.jpeg

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 4 of 19
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Mama didn't raise no dummy tho - I redeemed my rewards immediately! 😂

I honestly don't know how that would have worked, but I wasn't taking the chance! 

EA0F2F95-E31B-4B0A-BEDB-797BDB34D089.jpeg

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 5 of 19
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Interestingly enough, PenFed does not have a way for you to turn on transaction alerts like other credit cards so you could've received a warning when a charge over say $5 was put against the card…whether online or swiped. 

Good thing you noticed. As a heavy traveler for work, my cards see a lot of usage and I have alerts turned for everything just in case. Seems like I'm always handing my card to people. 

Message 6 of 19
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@cashorcharge wrote:

Interestingly enough, PenFed does not have a way for you to turn on transaction alerts like other credit cards so you could've received a warning when a charge over say $5 was put against the card…whether online or swiped. 

Yikes! That's crazy!
That pretty much scratches PenFed off my list!
Can you turn the card off when not in use? 

CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 7 of 19
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@JNA1 wrote:

@cashorcharge wrote:

Yikes! That's crazy!
That pretty much scratches PenFed off my list!
Can you turn the card off when not in use? 

I don't see that option either. The alerts you "can" do are related to statements and payments or if you plan on leaving the country...you need to give them a heads up. 

Message 8 of 19
shmacckk
Regular Contributor

Could just sign up through Visa Alerts. 

I use that with my AOD card. Get a text for anything swiped on the card.

I had Penfed fraud a few months back and the card never left my house ever. I think I used it to pay taxes once.

They are pretty slow compared to other lenders to fix it to. 

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use visa credit card alerts at the visa.com website for my penfed power cash rewards visa signature card.  It allows you to receive text alerts and email alerts when your card has been used and the amount. 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.