Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pending Transactions on Statement Cut Date

tag
DebtJoe
Regular Contributor

Pending Transactions on Statement Cut Date

So it looks like I goofed with the usage on one of my cards. I have a very small transaction that hasn't cleared yet, and the last day of my current statement is today.

When the bank reports my balance to the bureaus, will they report my balance as 0, or what is currently pending?

8/1/2018 FICO Scores:

6/29/2021 FICO Scores:
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pending Transactions on Statement Cut Date

It will report whatever the STATEMENT balance is.  If the pending charge clears before it cuts then it will report the balance as the statement balance.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'll know tomorrow. If that transaction was made today then i doubt it will be posted on the statement. However if it happened yesterday or before that then they will most likely post it. Depends on the transaction too because restaurant transactions take longer to post for obvious reasons.

Message 3 of 11
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You'll know tomorrow. If that transaction was made today then i doubt it will be posted on the statement. However if it happened yesterday or before that then they will most likely post it. Depends on the transaction too because restaurant transactions take longer to post for obvious reasons.

+1

This has been my experience.

Charges that normally sit for 3-4 days will post early if at statement date.

If made on the day (No), but a day or two old pending (Yes)

Depends on issuer, card, etc (YMMV)

This is how most of mine work

Message 4 of 11
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

If the charge hasn’t posted by the time the statement cuts, the reported balance will still be zero. Pending transactions do not count toward utilization until they fully post. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 5 of 11
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

If the charge hasn’t posted by the time the statement cuts, the reported balance will still be zero. Pending transactions do not count toward utilization until they fully post. 

True, however many issuers speed up/shorten the pending time at time of statement being cut.  I have both gas and market locations where the norm pending is 3 days, but will post if yesterday and statement cut date is today.  They want to include all charges in current statement and often shorten normal pending times.  For many of my cards 3 days  down to 1 day.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had Synchrony and NFCU both report pending charges on my statement and to the bureaus. The amount gets removed from my available credit but doesn’t show on the statement. NFCU actually reported $30 that was pending last month on my More Rewards.
Message 7 of 11
DebtJoe
Regular Contributor

So my Cap1 statement just cut and posted the transaction at the same exact time, lol. Oh well, no biggie.

8/1/2018 FICO Scores:

6/29/2021 FICO Scores:
Message 8 of 11
Dave4fun
Regular Contributor

I thought it was just me, but I have noticed that as well. A pending charge can normally  take 3 to 4 days before posting. However if the charge is at or near statement date the issuer will post it on that new statement and it could only be pending a day or two. . Funny how that works  Smiley Frustrated

FICO 8 EQ: 841, TU: 842, EX: 842 Total Rev CL: $547,000 - CHASE/CITIBANK/DISCOVER/ USBANK/AMEX/COMENITY AMEX /BMO/NORDSTROM/MACYS/FNBO/ JCPENNY/TARGET/CHEVRON/1ST UNITED CU/PATELCO CU/SYNCHRONY/ VENMO VISA Sig/ DILLARDS AMEX/ PENFED PLAT REWARDS/PENFED PLOC/WELLS FARGO. AAoA 13 years
Message 9 of 11
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

I was traveling this weekend and using my cards with statements cutting Sat - Today.   Since I knew I had pending charges I just made sure my statement balance from last month was paid and I will let the current charges post and show a balance. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.