Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed cc application

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Penfed cc application

I applied for a credit card through Penfed two months ago. At the time my equifax score was 740. I was denied due to high util on existing cards. Since then I have gotten my utl down to 20%. Before it was at 85%. I have no new inquires besides 1 in 6 months. My credit score is now 797. should i consider it safe to reapply for credit card.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Penfed cc application

Personally I'd wait at least a month just in case they try to use the same inquiry from before. I was denied at 18% util, but their concern was that the balances were disapportionate to my income.
Message 2 of 4
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

A side note / question...  How did you maintain a 740 EQ with 85% UTL???

Earlier this year after a change from being employed to running our biz full time, I went from 745 (0% UTL) to 612 (65% UTL) I have now rebounded only to 676 after paying off 20K and being 20% UTL!!!   Nothing has changed...  I have more age, no new accts. since 11-08, no INQ's etc...    You seem to be golden...

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im not really sure how I got a 740 score with 85% utl. I have never had any lates, collections etc. Maybe that helped. However, what I have noticed is a great score really doesnt mean much anymore. Lenders are looking at your whole credit profile. Im not realyy sure how the score models work, but I dont think they really reflect your credit worthiness when figuring your score.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.