Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please explain this to me...

tag
RCFL
Frequent Contributor

Please explain this to me...

So I have a secured card from capital one, 500 Credit Limit. So I thought, what the heck, I've had this secured card for a long time already so I tried to apply for the Capital One QS and the Journey for average credit - got the 7-10 days message. And i just got the letter from Capital One and it says:

The reason(s) for our decision are:

--> Based on your application information, proportion of Capital One account balance(s) to credit limit or high credit is too high

what does it means? Does it means that I've reached their setted 'max limit ?' FYI, i am the authorized user on my dad's 2 Capital One account, does it counts toward anything? 

With my secured card (0/500 limit) and authorized user on my dad's 2 capital one ( 0/$1250 and 0/$1000), the util. is 0%. My total credit card debt are: 50$

Should I call their recon department? If there's a chance I can get approved? If i should call them which recon number should i call?

They have my EQ as 698. I have a 4 years old BK on file.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
policebox
Contributor

Re: Please explain this to me...

My interpretation of the reason given is that they are saying your utilization of your Capital One accounts is too high. Whether or not that includes accounts in which you are an authorized user, I do not know. However, if your stated utilization is currently 0% as you stated ($0 balance), then that interpretation is not consistent with the account status. I would definitely call the EO/backdoor number about this. Politely request that your account be unsecured with a $5,000 limit.

Message 2 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Email executive office for a manual review.

you can unsecure your secured card as other poster said.

Message 3 of 7
RCFL
Frequent Contributor

I am confused too. If they're saying my utilization is too high, that's impossible because I don't have any balance on any of the accounts. Can I please have the back door number or the EO's email? I once tried to chat with the customer representative online and was told that it is not possible to graduate or upgrade my card from a secured card. Please give me the number or email. Thank you!
Message 4 of 7
Smooth954
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Email executive office for a manual review.

you can unsecure your secured card as other poster said.

How do you do this? I spoke to the EO in early January and they said the secured card cannot graduate are be unsecured instead I can apply for any other product. Are they un securing them now? Please let me know as that would be awesome. 

OP maybe a balance was reported at the time you app for the card just because you have a 0 balance now does not mean a balance wasn't reported that is reflecting on your report. To avoid this you need to know the date that your statement cuts. For instance my cap one is dude on the 4th and statement cuts on the 7th so say that I paid my bill on the 3rd but put 150 on my card on the 5th if I dont pay the 150 off before the 7th they will report 150$ as the balance.

i usually pay a 100$ anytime before my due date then If I have a balance I pay that by the 6th the latest I have never had a balance report doing this yet and I have been 100% on time as for as payments.

Myfico (7/16/14): EQ:736, EX:678(Prosper 7/16/14), TU:691(5/29/14)
Wallet:

Message 5 of 7
RCFL
Frequent Contributor

Quote From Smooth954

"How do you do this? I spoke to the EO in early January and they said the secured card cannot graduate are be unsecured instead I can apply for any other product. Are they un securing them now? Please let me know as that would be awesome. 

OP maybe a balance was reported at the time you app for the card just because you have a 0 balance now does not mean a balance wasn't reported that is reflecting on your report. To avoid this you need to know the date that your statement cuts. For instance my cap one is dude on the 4th and statement cuts on the 7th so say that I paid my bill on the 3rd but put 150 on my card on the 5th if I dont pay the 150 off before the 7th they will report 150$ as the balance.

i usually pay a 100$ anytime before my due date then If I have a balance I pay that by the 6th the latest I have never had a balance report doing this yet and I have been 100% on time as for as payments."

---> my Balance is 0 since January and I app'ed on March 1.

Message 6 of 7
Smooth954
Regular Contributor

Oh yea that's weird I would definitely recon
Myfico (7/16/14): EQ:736, EX:678(Prosper 7/16/14), TU:691(5/29/14)
Wallet:

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.