Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Points vs Percents

tag
socalchef00
Regular Contributor

Points vs Percents

Is it me or doesn't it seem better to use cards with x amount of points per dollar spent vs a certain % cash back ?

Example : 

PayPal Extras MC gives 3x points for every dollar at Gas and Resturants

Discover IT gives 1% unlimited cash back, and during the quarters 5%, in this case, its 5% at Target and Gas.

But if I spent $100 on gas w/ PayPal, I'd get 300 points vs $5 with Discover

I guess it depends on the conversion rate of points to cash back ?

TransUnion FicoScore 8 : 800 | EquiFax FicoScore 9 : 813 | Experian FicoScore 8 : 760
Total Credit Limit Of : $374,650 | Avg Cr Age : 6 Yrs., Oldest card : 18 years, Youngest card : 2 Month
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
DJRobbieD
Regular Contributor

Re: Points vs Percents

Exactly, it's all about the conversion rate for points. If you can get 1 cent per point (cpp), you're earning the same rate as cash back.

Many banks/CUs let you redeem points for cash back at 1ccp, but some cards are lower than that (e.g. Amex Gold at 0.6cpp, X1 at 0.7cpp ) while others maybe be higher (e.g. Amex Schwab Platinum at 1.1ccp).

TCL: $401.4k
Message 2 of 14
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@socalchef00 wrote:

Is it me or doesn't it seem better to use cards with x amount of points per dollar spent vs a certain % cash back ?

Example : 

Discover IT gives 1% unlimited cash back, and during the quarters 5%, in this case, its 5% at Target and Gas.

Yes, definitely. Saying "3x points per dollar" or whatever SOUNDS great, but what does it actually MEAN? We need to compare apples and apples, not apples and oranges. If points equal cents, then 100 points equals $1.00, and you can compare that to a percentage card one-to-one to see which is better. If its point value isn't that cut and dry, then you just need to do the math to figure out what you're actually getting.

Personally, I gave up on points cards. I mean I'm not getting any cards now that are not cash back. For me, the straightforwardness of knowing that when I spend $100 I'm getting $6 CB is just cleaner and less of a hassle than working out points.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 3 of 14
socalchef00
Regular Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@socalchef00 wrote:

Example : 

Yes, definitely. Saying "3x points per dollar" or whatever SOUNDS great, but what does it actually MEAN? We need to compare apples and apples, not apples and oranges. If points equal cents, then 100 points equals $1.00, and you can compare that to a percentage card one-to-one to see which is better. If its point value isn't that cut and dry, then you just need to do the math to figure out what you're actually getting.

Personally, I gave up on points cards. I mean I'm not getting any cards now that are not cash back. For me, the straightforwardness of knowing that when I spend $100 I'm getting $6 CB is just cleaner and less of a hassle than working out points.

Awesome thanks. Most of my cards are points , believe i only have 2 cash back cards.

I'll do some research on my cards with points and find out which ones are better than the others.

Thanks!

TransUnion FicoScore 8 : 800 | EquiFax FicoScore 9 : 813 | Experian FicoScore 8 : 760
Total Credit Limit Of : $374,650 | Avg Cr Age : 6 Yrs., Oldest card : 18 years, Youngest card : 2 Month
Message 4 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I think there is a card that is/was semi-popular here that gives FOUR points per $, but it turns out each point is worth very little and the earning is worse than many cards.

The major issue with points is that they are easy to devalue.   The example I am most familiar with (unfortunately) is with Penfed's Platinum Rewards points.   They silently devalued the points some time back.   All that happened is that when you went to redeem, something that used to take say 50,000 points, now took 59,900.   Card still earned the same way (5/3/1) so no annoucements were needed, it was just suddenly quite a bit less valuable.

Non-cashback points also can devalue in other ways, normally not through the issuer.  So an airline can determine that a trip that used to take 120,000 miles now costs 200,000.  Chase UR, Amex MR, Citi TYP still work the same from the card point of view, but they are less valuable for this redemption (but may still be OK for others).

Pure cashback cards devalue as well, but generally it is much more explicit, the issuer says it is going from 3% to 2% (USAlliance for example). 

Message 5 of 14
Aim_High
Super Contributor

+1 ^  Good explanation from @longtimelurker

And this is why with points systems, you never know what they were worth until after you've redeemed them.

And points-based systems are more subject to devaluation that cash back.  Point devaluation can be insidious and easy to miss if a consumer is not paying close attention.

Also, if there is an annual fee on the card, doing the math to see what your actual earnings rate will be is crucial.  Many premium cards that are rewards points-based have annual fees.  Sometimes, much or all of that AF can be reduced by "credits" against it, so annual fees in-and-of themselves are not always a bad thing.  However, if a consumer can't or doesn't use the credits, they become a further drag on earnings rates.  Doing your own calculations to see what value you're getting out of points-based cards is always suggested. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 6 of 14
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

I can tell you from experience the Pay Pal Extras MC points are only worth about .8cpp---not a full 1cpp.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 7 of 14
socalchef00
Regular Contributor

Another Points vs cash back question

About a week or so I posted regarding points vs cash back and most responses were for cash back percent being better than the typical 2x, 3x, 5x etc on points.

I want to double check I'm calculating this correct as I'm looking to reorganize my cards to the ones that will give me most benefits.

Currently my everyday use card is Fidelity Signature Rewards as I get 2% cash back.

I do have the Paypal Extra's MC that gives 3x points on Gas and Resturants. 

I checked the conversion rate at Paypal, and it is 6,000 points = $50

Fidelity is $2500 spent = $50 cash back

To me, If I spend $2,500 with Fidelity thats $50, but if I spend $2,000 in Gas/Resturants, thats 6,000 points and I get $50 back

Seems like I should use Paypal MC for only Gas and Resturants and Fidelity for everything else?

Now of course, not all cards have the same conversion ratio, so it may vary card to card and I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Message 8 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Another Points vs cash back question

@socalchef00 wrote:

About a week or so I posted regarding points vs cash back and most responses were for cash back percent being better than the typical 2x, 3x, 5x etc on points.

I want to double check I'm calculating this correct as I'm looking to reorganize my cards to the ones that will give me most benefits.

Currently my everyday use card is Fidelity Signature Rewards as I get 2% cash back.

To me, If I spend $2,500 with Fidelity thats $50, but if I spend $2,000 in Gas/Resturants, thats 6,000 points and I get $50 back

Seems like I should use Paypal MC for only Gas and Resturants and Fidelity for everything else?

Now of course, not all cards have the same conversion ratio, so it may vary card to card and I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Yes.  The math really isn't very hard!   The factors are simply:

1) What does the card earn, in points or %.   This will vary from card to card, and within a card from category to category.   

2) If points, how much are they worth when redeemed.   Again, this varies from card to card, and within a card, how they are redeemed.

So, for a given purchase, does (points earned on card 1 * redemption rate for those points) exceed (points earned on card 2 * redemption rate for those points)

In your example, if 6000 Paypal Extra points are worth $50, a point is worth $50/6000, or approx 0.83c.     A Fidelity point (redeemed into a fidelity account for example) is worth 1c     

On gas and restaurants, Paypal Extra earns 3 points, which, from above is worth 3*.83  or about 2.5c.  The fidelity card earns 2, each worth 1c, so that is worth 2c.   SInce 2.5 > 2, yes, use paypal extra on those categories, and Fidelity for the rest, if those are the only cards.

Message 9 of 14
socalchef00
Regular Contributor

Re: Another Points vs cash back question

@longtimelurker wrote:

@socalchef00 wrote:

Yes.  The math really isn't very hard!   The factors are simply:

1) What does the card earn, in points or %.   This will vary from card to card, and within a card from category to category.   

2) If points, how much are they worth when redeemed.   Again, this varies from card to card, and within a card, how they are redeemed.

So, for a given purchase, does (points earned on card 1 * redemption rate for those points) exceed (points earned on card 2 * redemption rate for those points)

In your example, if 6000 Paypal Extra points are worth $50, a point is worth $50/6000, or approx 0.83c.     A Fidelity point (redeemed into a fidelity account for example) is worth 1c     

On gas and restaurants, Paypal Extra earns 3 points, which, from above is worth 3*.83  or about 2.5c.  The fidelity card earns 2, each worth 1c, so that is worth 2c.   SInce 2.5 > 2, yes, use paypal extra on those categories, and Fidelity for the rest, if those are the only cards.

Thank you!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.