Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pondering my Citi card’s future

tag
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Pondering my Citi card’s future

I have a Citi TYP which is in its second year.

My plan was going to be to app for another Premier after this one makes it past 2 years in hopes of getting another 50k bonus. I would then PC this one to something with no AF so I could keep the trade line open and still get another essentially free SUB. A couple things have made me rethink this though.

For one thing, I was going to PC to a Costco card which would be great for gas and for trouble free cash back rewards on restaurants that don’t take Amex and travel abroad, which I don’t do that often but would be nice to have. However I figured out a little late that I need a Costco membership to qualify for the card. I don’t have one of those near me so it would essentially be a $60 AF just for the card. That kinda kills it for me. I’m not sure what else in their lineup I’d want to PC to.

The other thing is that as far as point earning goes, I’m kinda committed to the Amex ecosystem. I use my gold and BBP cards for nearly everything now. Of course Amex isn’t accepted everywhere, and is problematic abroad, so that’s where my other cards come in handy. My Citi DC is a keeper as my catch all card. I also use the Freedom on quarterly categories when 5% is better than 2MR points.

I feel like even if I did get a TYP bonus, I’m not sure how I’d use it other than most likely just spending it through the travel portal. I wonder if my spend is better put to use on something else. I’ve made good use of TYP in the past but I just don’t know if I can justify paying $95 per year to stay in the program when I’m already paying $250 for the Amex Gold. I’m debating just cancelling the Premier and being done with TYP altogether, unless I can PC it to something useful. Can I roll my Premier limit into my DC?

As for the Costco card I originally saw that as a way to remedy some of the shortcomings of the Amex cards. I liked the idea of trouble free cash back on foreign restaurants and travel where Amex would only give me 1 MR per dollar or just not be accepted. Also 4% on gas would have made it a keeper. I just don’t want to pay $60 for that. I can make do for now using my QS for basic foreign stuff if I have to and Synovus for US restaurants that don’t take Amex and Citi DC for US anything else. I feel like I’m better off getting free cash back for that stuff than paying for points on a program that doesn’t offer me as much value.

I just need to figure out what to do with this card. PC or cancel? I still have a few months to figure it out.

Any ideas? What would you guys do?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Pondering my Citi card’s future

How much dining / spending overseas do you have, which would be a significant earning gain compared to Gold or QS?

Is Costco simple cash back, or Costco credits?
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It sounds like your bases are covered just fine without it. I would just close it and move on.

Message 3 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:
How much dining / spending overseas do you have, which would be a significant earning gain compared to Gold or QS?

Is Costco simple cash back, or Costco credits?

Officially you can redeem it for cash and you can reliably get cash if that's all you're doing in the checkout line (no purchases) or the customer service desk (at some warehouses).

In practice, I was recently in the checkout line (with purchases) and requested cash for my certificate and to put all my purchases on my card. The overzealous cashier ignored my request and applied the certificate against my purchases.

I lost $4 or so in cash back, but I'm still a very happy customer.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

Okayyy
But you had to visit Costco to attempt to get “Cash Back”, correct?
And even then technically a fail.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:
Okayyy
But you had to visit Costco to attempt to get “Cash Back”, correct?
And even then technically a fail.

Yes, redeeming the CC rewards requires a trip to Costco.

I don't buy much gas, I have CSR for dining, and CFU with CSR out-earns the Costco Visa on general merchandise.

For me, the value of the Costco card is in using it for electronics...a 2+2 year extended warranty plus price protection.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since you already have a Citi DC, have you considered PC to the Dividend card?

5% rotating categories with $6k annual limit you can spend all in one quarter if you like.

Screenshot_20190321-180227_Chrome.jpg

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would just cancel it. It seems like you are all in with AMEX so no need to keep the card around. I wouldn’t worry about minimal difference on the Costco if you PCed it’s not worth it for 60 a year. I would just throw your gas on the BBP domestically and QS international.

Ironically I’m heading in the opposite direction. I have the Premier as well along with the Amex Gold and BBP. However, I’m slowly realizing that I don’t really use MRs like I thought I would. Also I’m not sure if I want to keep paying the 250$ AF for the Gold going forward due to gift cards for AA no longer triggering the credit. Its like I literally would be forced to fly at least 2 times a year to use the credit and not sure I want to do that.

I actually just PCed my DC to the Rewards+ to pair with my Premier. I may PC my AA plat to the Prestige later on to go all in. I just have to revisit everything when the annual fees come up to decide whether I want to continue with MRs or go all in witn TYs. The 10% redemption bonus kinda makes the Premier AF easier to swallow after the 1st year.

Message 8 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I think Dividend is the best PC option mentioned so far. The categories can be weird or narrow, but better than an unused Costco membership.
Message 9 of 11
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Yeah I see what you mean about the Gold airline credit.  I just use mine on SW gift cards if I have anything left over.  Those are really easy to convert to cash if it comes down to it.  Although I've managed to use most of mine on real incidentals funny enough.

If I choose cancel the Premier, will Citi let me move my limit over to the DC?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.