cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible (or not?) to upgrade Penfed Power Cash Rewards to Signature version?

tag
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Possible (or not?) to upgrade Penfed Power Cash Rewards to Signature version?

I don't know what a "vanilla" Power Cash Reward card is but when I app'd for the PCR I was given a limit of $4k.  About 2 weeks ago had it bumped to $10k and at the same time I added an authorized user.  My authorized users card came as a Visa Signature even though my card is still the regular Power Cash card.  

It doesn't bother me as Visa Signature (and World/World Elite Mastercards) benefits are absolutely useless to me.  If you want to see if the same will work out for you, just request a replacement card and you *should* get one with the Signature logo.  Best of luck to you.  

Message 11 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Possible (or not?) to upgrade Penfed Power Cash Rewards to Signature version?

@Anonymous wrote:

Give this a try.  (My Visa Signature cards report as Traditional while my WEMC or WMC reflect their status).

https://binlist.net/

Just FYI that the results you get from that BIN site - and most of the various public BIN databases - are YMMV.  The first three cards I looked up were incorrect. 

My USAA Signature Visa (issued as a Signature) shows up as the correct bank but the type is 'Traditional', my Amex PRG shows up as Bank of America, and my BBVA/Compass Clearpoints Visa (Platinum, but with $10k CL) shows up as Bank of Oklahoma.

Message 12 of 15
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I, personally, could care less if it's "vanilla" or a signature card as long as I get my 2% per purchase.

+1  The Visa Signature "benefits" have never helped me in any way, and I have them on four different credit cards.  Even if these "benefits" were useful, I would only need to have them on one card.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I got my Penfed Power Cash Rewards Visa at the beginning of last July on a preapproved offer with a $3K SL. This, of course, is well below the minimum for a Visa Signature, so even though most of the advertising shows cards with the Signature logo, I got a "vanilla" Rewards Visa card. I got a CLI to $7K in early November, which puts me well above the $5K needed for a Signature, but didn't think about it at the time.

However, last week I got a Quicksilver Rewards Visa from Capital One with a $10K SL. When the card arrived in the mail Saturday, I discovered that it's, in fact, a Visa Signature, which made me very happy Smiley Happy and also jogged my memory about my PCR. Since this card's CL is now high enough for a Signature-level card, I wanted to find out if I could get it upgraded. This thread from last year, http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Upgrade-to-Visa-Signature/td-p/4606344 , indicates that at least several banks will do this though there are certain conditions (such as needing to have your card for a year before you can apply for an upgrade), but I don't know if Penfed can/will do this. Anyone with experience one way or the other able to enlighten on this point?

Not sure of this was answered or not yet, but from what I know...  Penfed does not do PC's.  They close one and open another.  You can move limits around between open cards, so that an option, but you would have to get the platinum as a second card, or close the PCR to get the platinum, and that would affect your aaoa

Yes, that's a consideration. As I said, in these circumstances it seems too much trouble even if opening a new card wouldn't incur a HP as long as I did it within the 90-day window when the current EQ FICO 9 score is active. Also, as others have pointed out, the ancillary benefits are nice but not really very important (for instance, I get roadside services free as part of my USAA membership - and my mother recently got me a year's free AAA membership too - and you have to pay a fee for such services with Visa Signature); what really matters are things like the fees, rewards and APR. So I think (like I said yesterday) I'm just going to work on getting the CL on my current PCR up whenever I next become eligible for a CLI.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Give this a try.  (My Visa Signature cards report as Traditional while my WEMC or WMC reflect their status).

https://binlist.net/

Just FYI that the results you get from that BIN site - and most of the various public BIN databases - are YMMV.  The first three cards I looked up were incorrect. 

My USAA Signature Visa (issued as a Signature) shows up as the correct bank but the type is 'Traditional', my Amex PRG shows up as Bank of America, and my BBVA/Compass Clearpoints Visa (Platinum, but with $10k CL) shows up as Bank of Oklahoma.

I had the same results.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.