Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibly cancelling Amex gold

tag
Slowlyrebuilding
Contributor

Possibly cancelling Amex gold

So I am considering getting rid of my Gold card. Reasons 1) they got rid of a few of the perks that let me justify the annual fee (Uber eats pass, airline reimbursement etc) 2) they put a hard limit on it 

I just realized the perks were gone after the annual fee hit. They put the hard limit on about 2 weeks after the annual fee.

so my question is if I cancel it, will I get a pro-rated refund of the annual fee?

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Possibly cancelling Amex gold

If you are cancelling the Gold card after the 30 day window when the annual fee posts then you should receive a prorated refund

Message 2 of 35
increasingmyfico
Regular Contributor

@Slowlyrebuilding wrote:

So I am considering getting rid of my Gold card. Reasons 1) they got rid of a few of the perks that let me justify the annual fee (Uber eats pass, airline reimbursement etc) 2) they put a hard limit on it 

I just realized the perks were gone after the annual fee hit. They put the hard limit on about 2 weeks after the annual fee.

so my question is if I cancel it, will I get a pro-rated refund of the annual fee?

Where did you see mention of the Uber credit going away?

Message 3 of 35
jcooks
Established Contributor

@increasingmyfico wrote:

@Slowlyrebuilding wrote:

Where did you see mention of the Uber credit going away?

He's referring to the Uber Eats Pass Subscription.  The Uber Cash still is still hitting accounts every month for $10.

Message 4 of 35
Slowlyrebuilding
Contributor

I still get the $10 a month towards Uber but I am referring to the free "Eats Pass" which gave a discount of around 10% on orders and no delivery fees. I used the heck out of it. I was just notified by Uber that they no longer have Eats Pass, it's now "Uber One" and it's no longer free with Gold Card

Message 5 of 35
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

You should do a chat with them online - the retention team may be able to offer you MR points to keep the card for another year.

I did just that with the Plat card right after my AF posted and got offered 60,000 MR points for $3K spend.  

Basically the points to me paid for the AF as I use the points for travel.

Message 6 of 35
jojo79
Regular Contributor

@4sallypat wrote:

You should do a chat with them online - the retention team may be able to offer you MR points to keep the card for another year.

I did just that with the Plat card right after my AF posted and got offered 60,000 MR points for $3K spend.  

Basically the points to me paid for the AF as I use the points for travel.

I second this... I just did the same for my Gold last week; got 30K for $3K spend to keep the card. To be honest the monthly Uber/Dining credits  ($240 total) pretty much covered the annual fee since I take advantage of them.

Message 7 of 35
bankjamie

Gold still gets Eats Pass, Platinum is the one that lost it.

Message 8 of 35
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@simplynoir wrote:

If you are cancelling the Gold card after the 30 day window when the annual fee posts then you should receive a prorated refund

Not sure if it is still happening in actual practice, but as of a couple of years ago Amex actually changed their policy on this.  Up to 30 days after hitting the statement it will be completely refunded if the card is closed, but there is no more prorating if closing within the cardholder year.  (Prorating on upgrades and downgrades is still ongoing, however.)

Message 9 of 35
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@bankjamie wrote:

Gold still gets Eats Pass, Platinum is the one that lost it.

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/campaigns/uber/

This says a person had to enroll by 12/31/21 and it was valid for a year after enrolling. Can you show any evidence a Gold card can actually enroll now, or that Gold covers it past the first 12 months?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.