tag
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Pre-Approved For Hilton Honors Surpass American Express Card

@shane82388 wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

@shane82388 wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

I think it is easiest besides Delta SkyMiles.

Ron.

Thats funny how Im pre approved for that one...and its actually the better of the two Hilton ones too...but im not pre approved for the basic Hilton one or the Delta SkyMiles...

It doesn't matter. They still HP when you applied except upgrading the card.  I know I'm good for any Amex card. They sent me pre-approved for Platinum Amex. I didn't want it. I have no use for the card. 

Ron.

Having a pre-approval for Platinum AMEX means you are good for any AMEX card?

pretty much. except the Centurion Amex aka. Black Card. Smiley Happy Did they offer any pre-approval for the Platinum Amex?

Ron.

Message 11 of 16
shane82388
Established Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

@shane82388 wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

@shane82388 wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

I think it is easiest besides Delta SkyMiles.

Ron.

Thats funny how Im pre approved for that one...and its actually the better of the two Hilton ones too...but im not pre approved for the basic Hilton one or the Delta SkyMiles...

It doesn't matter. They still HP when you applied except upgrading the card.  I know I'm good for any Amex card. They sent me pre-approved for Platinum Amex. I didn't want it. I have no use for the card. 

Ron.

Having a pre-approval for Platinum AMEX means you are good for any AMEX card?

pretty much. except the Centurion Amex aka. Black Card. Smiley Happy Did they offer any pre-approval for the Platinum Amex?

Ron.

yes, ive been pre-approved for all AMEX Charge cards for a little wild now...

Message 12 of 16
shane82388
Established Contributor

Hmm...now the pre-approval for the Hilton credit card dissapeared overnight? Weeeeird

Message 13 of 16
Dustink
Valued Contributor

It is easier to get approved for a charge card such as the platinum than a revolver such as the Hilton? To me being pre-approved for a charge card does not mean you are pre-approved for any AMEX. Though, I am sure you (Ron) can get any AMEX. I just want to make sure people understand that the Plat isn't the hardest AMEX card to get. Actually, with the high AF, ability to deny any high spending, and monthly required pay off. Amex may be willing to offer this card to sub prime borrowers.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 14 of 16
kclb
Regular Contributor

Hmmm...

I just applied for Costco AMEX. I recently closed my AMEX Platinum since I don't use much of the benefits...

I may also apply for Hilton Honors Surpass.  I wonder if it would affect my score much?

Please advise.

Mahalos!~

-
EX - 677 | EQ - 714 | TU - 724 as of December 4, 2013.
-
CC - Bank Of Hawaii - Hawaiian Airlines - $1500 / AMEX - Costco - $1200 (Nov '13) / Discover IT - $1200 / Aloha Pacific Credit Union - $3000 / AMEX - Blue - $6500 (authorized user) / Chase - CSP - $5000 (Dec '13)
-
Closed Accounts - AMEX Platinum.
Message 15 of 16
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Couple things. The preapproval, in so much as it is based on info on you CR, likely would have come from your last SP, so depending on when that was, Amex might not be aware of your increased holiday balances.

It's not odd that you would have a preapproval for Surpass but not the other card. These are marketing tools. It doesn't mean that you are likely to get approved for Surpass but not regular HHonors. It means they want to market the more expensive card to you.

The offers disappearing immediately is a common issue with them. Don't make anything if it. In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you apply through one or not. If you would have been approved with the offer, you would be approved without it. Amex does not lower their approval standards to make preapproved offers and then apply a more stringent standard to those applying without the preapproval.

Just remember that these are mostly marketing gimmicks.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.