Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-selected to apply?

tag
righthererightnow
Frequent Contributor

Pre-selected to apply?

What does "pre-selected to apply" mean in terms of the odds of getting the card? It's not pre-approved, and the wording on the letter I received says "you are more likely to be approved for this card", which makes me nervous.

15 REPLIES 15
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Pre-selected to apply?

@righthererightnow wrote:

What does "pre-selected to apply" mean in terms of the odds of getting the card? It's not pre-approved, and the wording on the letter I received says "you are more likely to be approved for this card", which makes me nervous.

Who is the lender?

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 16
righthererightnow
Frequent Contributor

Citi Double Cash Mastercard... Citi.

I've read both responses on this site:
a) stay away, everyone gets these mailers and there is no chance
b)if they list a specific APR and Invitation number.. they are golden

Not sure which to trust... I would really love to have this card.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would try the Citi pre-qualifier on their website and come back here with what it tells you. 

https://www.citicards.com/cards/credit/application/flow.action?isInvitation=

Message 4 of 16
righthererightnow
Frequent Contributor

I didn't qualify for anything.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry. I wouldn't risk it then.

Message 6 of 16
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

With your EX score you'd probably get it anyway. The only thing is that Citi is known for low-balling limits on the DoubleCash. Sometimes the mail pre-qualifications and online ones just don't sync up. 

Most Citi Pre-Selections are solid anyway. It doesn't say "we invite you to apply" at least lol.

If you want a higher limit I'd try for maybe the AAdvantage and then PC later.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 7 of 16
righthererightnow
Frequent Contributor

ah, ooooooook. I shouldn't be applying for anything, I should be gardening (I am in the garden), but it was EXCITING to see an 'offer' for a card that I've wanted. I won't apply.

thank you for the help & suggestions. I appreciate it.

Message 8 of 16
righthererightnow
Frequent Contributor

re: this working....

I just got CLI on two of my three cards, so I have extra inquiries. I worry that those will be enough to block me out.

This would be so much easier if it was a soft pull.. what a world that would be.

Message 9 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@injustifiiable wrote:

With your EX score you'd probably get it anyway. The only thing is that Citi is known for low-balling limits on the DoubleCash. Sometimes the mail pre-qualifications and online ones just don't sync up. 

Most Citi Pre-Selections are solid anyway. It doesn't say "we invite you to apply" at least lol.

If you want a higher limit I'd try for maybe the AAdvantage and then PC later.

This isn't bad advice, but note if you apply for AAdvantage and it's worthless to you, you are stuck with it for at least a year before you can PC, which isn't a trivial amount of time. In that time you may qualify outright for the card you originally wanted.

"Pre selected to apply" without a firm APR is just marketing; treat it as such.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.