cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchase Protection

tag
bryan8392

Purchase Protection

Just wondering what everyone's experience is with purchase protection on various cards. I have a Visa Signature, World Mastercard, Discover, and American Express, but I don't know which one offers the best purchase protection. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: Purchase Protection

Amex in my case

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 6
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

I would say amex

BCE- 50 k-BOA 123 100k -Freedom unlimited-95k- Citi DC- 200k-CSR 175k
Garden mode

Message 3 of 6
PersonalBanker89
Valued Member

American Express offers benefits for eligible purchases that will cover the cost of accidental damage or theft within 90 days of purchase. My buddy bought a laptop from BestBuy and the screen cracked in the first 30 days, and Amex completely covered the cost painlessly. American Express is known for their level of service and purchase protection.

Regions Bank Prestige (11k) / Fidelity Rewards (9.2k) Chase Freedom (2k) / Navy FCU cashRewards (22k) Discover it (6.4k) / Citi Double Cash (5.4k) / Amex Bluecash (15.7k) / Chase Unlimited (12.5k) / Barclays Rewards (6.4k) / Wells Fargo Cash Wise (10k) = TCL (100.6k)

FICO 8 Scores : EQ 752 / TU 738
AAoA : 4.1 yrs / AoOA : 7.4 yrs / AoYA: 1 yrs
Utilization : 2% / Last Inquiry: July 2017
Goal : Garden to 2020 with 750s
Message 4 of 6
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@bryan8392 wrote:

Just wondering what everyone's experience is with purchase protection on various cards. I have a Visa Signature, World Mastercard, Discover, and American Express, but I don't know which one offers the best purchase protection. Any ideas?

Fortunately, I've never had to use this benefit. I'd like to hear people's experiences as well.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 5 of 6
enharu
Super Contributor

@bryan8392 wrote:

It honestly depends on the lender itself, rather than the payment network you are using. 

Discover and American Express have pretty good reviews regarding this.

As for Visa and MC, it really depends on which lender you are dealing with. Each of those lenders sub-contract this to other warranty / insurance companies. 

When you're filing a dispute or protection or warranty claim for anything you're dealing with those insurance companies, not Visa or MC. 

Discover, American Express and Citi are the only ones I know where the insurance company in charge of these claims happen to be a subsidary of the banking institution as well. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.