Did you mean: 

Question about Amex Everyday and Lasik

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Amex Everyday and Lasik

Friends, 

This month I got an Amex Everyday Card. My Credit Limit is $5,000

On Tuesday, I'm having LASIK and it costs $3661.80.

Amex says (via their online live chat) that this charge will be approved. 

I plan to pay the card in full on the same day (I have cash in the bank for the procedure). 

I still feel a bit squeamish about it being approved (even with their reassurance), should I bring cash just in case? 

Thoughts? 

P

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Question about Amex Everyday and Lasik

If you have the available limit to make the charge and you already spoke to AMEX about it to boot you're good to go. If it makes you feel more comfortable to bring cash as a precaution that's fine but I don't think it's necessary.

Message 2 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Good to go, best thing you did is let Amex know in advance of a huge purchase. This way they know it isnt fraud. Leave your cash in bank. If the charge doesnt go through you can always go to bank .
Message 3 of 19
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

You should be good to go. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 19
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

You're all good.

My only advice is to make sure the clinic/office accepts AMEX.

Went to the theater last week, handed the card to the clerk to pay for snacks; made a joke & quoted the old VISA slogan: "And they don't take American Express"

To my great surprise he said "that's right, we don't"   Eeeks.. My funny went sour.. I had many alternate cards but I was a little shocked..

CHEERS and Good Luck for a speedy recover from the procedure!! cheers smilie guy.gif

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Friends, 

This month I got an Amex Everyday Card. My Credit Limit is $5,000

On Tuesday, I'm having LASIK and it costs $3661.80.

Amex says (via their online live chat) that this charge will be approved. 

I plan to pay the card in full on the same day (I have cash in the bank for the procedure). 

I still feel a bit squeamish about it being approved (even with their reassurance), should I bring cash just in case? 

Thoughts? 

P

You should be good to go. Just as a bit of advice, the "check purchasing power" also works, so you don't have to chat in with a rep. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

Your ED card is on a 0% APR for a while, correct?  

If you are in your first month with AMEX, you may be limited in how many payments you can make. 

But you at least have a grace period, and you won’t be able to pay in full on that day; the charge will be Pending for a few days. 

I would relax for a few days, enjoy the LASIK results, and then after it prints on the upcoming statement, pay in full ahead of the payment due date after that statement. This is to allow a large balance to print in your credit history so that other banks also see you can make large charges and pay them off. Utilization will go up temporarily, yes, but you will have a large balance in your file for years to come. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 19
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

AMEX allows payments toward pending charges.

Message 8 of 19
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

AMEX allows payments toward pending charges.

I know with their charge cards they allow this but didn't know this extended to their credit cards as well.

Message 9 of 19
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I did it once. It's possible that they might even allow payments beyond what's pending, but I've never tried that.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.