Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Amex

tag
Metalcards
Regular Contributor

Question about Amex

I have not been able to get prequalified for any Amex cards for over 12 years. I recently did their prequalify and it came back with 3 cards that I "might" get approved for if I app. My question is, why the change all of a sudden? As of 2 months ago it was a no go. Scores are about the same, 735-788, depending on which bureau you believe, uti is sitting at 4%.

is this a decoy move to say gotcha or do I have a chance?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Question about Amex

Pre-Qual might not be effective.  Getting Amex is not that difficult and you might very well get one of their cards. I would say apply for it and see if you get one.

Message 2 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Metalcards wrote:

I have not been able to get prequalified for any Amex cards for over 12 years. I recently did their prequalify and it came back with 3 cards that I "might" get approved for if I app. My question is, why the change all of a sudden? As of 2 months ago it was a no go. Scores are about the same, 735-788, depending on which bureau you believe, uti is sitting at 4%.

is this a decoy move to say gotcha or do I have a chance?

Have you ever had any AmEx CCs as a primary cardholder (or AU) before 12 years ago?

Message 3 of 13
ipmyf88
Valued Member

AMEX is an easy approval usually, even for someone who doesn't have a great credit score. You have a very good score. I think it's worth a shot. Pre-approvals are not always accurate. Do you mind sharing some more data points?

Message 4 of 13
Metalcards
Regular Contributor

I used to have a platinum card and and an optimum card with them before bankruptcy 12 years ago. Burned them for about $20k altogether. I've been blacklisted ever since. I even tried applying for the Wells Fargo propel and was declined because of previous history with Amex.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Metalcards wrote:

I used to have a platinum card and and an optimum card with them before bankruptcy 12 years ago. Burned them for about $20k altogether. I've been blacklisted ever since. I even tried applying for the Wells Fargo propel and was declined because of previous history with Amex.

AMEX had no decision authority on your denial with WF. The WF card just runs on the AMEX network,  but shares no direct connection to AMEX itself.  This would be like saying you burned a Chase Visa so now Citi won't issue you a Visa. 

Message 6 of 13
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

I have a theory that the Amex prequal operates with certain parameters, which might not include the Blacklist. The actual application process does take a look at the BL. Maybe you edged into better territory for the prequal, but got tripped up by the BL. I don't know, just a thought. 

Message 7 of 13
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@W261w261 wrote:

I have a theory that the Amex prequal operates with certain parameters, which might not include the Blacklist. The actual application process does take a look at the BL. Maybe you edged into better territory for the prequal, but got tripped up by the BL. I don't know, just a thought. 

The good news, from a warped perspective, is when you're on the blacklist and apply to AMEX, you get an instant denial and no pull against your credit reports, soft or hard.  The same cannot be said for CITI, I'm on their blacklist as well and when I applied for a secured card this year, I got both a denial and a hard pull.  Smiley Mad

Chapter 13:

• Burned: AMEX, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and South County Bank (now Bank of Southern California)
  • Filed: 26-Feb-2015
  • MoC: 01-Mar-2015
  • 1st Payment (posted): 23-Mar-2015
  • Last Payment (posted): 07-Feb-2020
  • Discharged: 04-Mar-2020
  • Closed: 23-Jun-2020

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 8 of 13
joltdude
Senior Contributor

You burned Amex... but as @Horseshoez said.. if you want to try, and you aren't sure if your blacklisted still.. Just try... Least you will not likely get an HP if your still on the blacklist... 

Its quite possible for an approval.. but you might be in the doghouse for a bit... (1k limit) .... 

Good luck and id try for it =)

-J

Message 9 of 13
jcooks
Established Contributor

I stopped trying to figure out the pre-approvals.  If it's a card that I really want, it would be worth a hard pull to try to get it.  

As for my personal experience with preapprovals, I've been checking preapprovals with Amex often.  Not via the prequal link, but the verbiage for each card when logged in.  For a few months I was pre-approved for all the Amex cards.  Last statement closing, my score dropped 1pt with EX because my UTI went from 1% to 6% and no other changes.  Now I am only approved for all charge cards and all co-branded cards.  I lost my preapprovals for all the core cards.  All my cards through Amex gets PIF the very same day it posts, except for 1 time I PIF a few days after, but nowhere near the due date.  

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.