Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Discover IT Graduation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Discover IT Graduation

What a rare topic for these forums! No one ever talks about their Discover IT graduation here, amirite? 🤪

6th statement closed on Monday, I received the email last night that my deposit is being returned and that my card has graduated. Yay! For the record, my TU Fico via the Discover app is 649. I don't think I'll see anywhere close to 700's until my last (pif) CO drops off next spring. Use the card regularly, but always pay off the balance before the statement cuts.

So my question is, does this card graduate to an actual Discover IT Cashback? I don't see anywhere to activate the 5% category, so I'm guessing it's like a hybrid, no longer a Secured IT, but not really the Cashback card either.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Question about Discover IT Graduation

It graduates to the same card it was. If it was chrome, it'll be chrome. If it's 5%, it'll be 5%.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, thanks! I didn't realize there was any option when applying for the secured version, I figured secured was secured. I can drop their help department a comment to find out, but out of curiosity do you know if that's something you can PC to after graduating (the 5%)? 

Message 3 of 14
delaney1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What a rare topic for these forums! No one ever talks about their Discover IT graduation here, amirite? 🤪

6th statement closed on Monday, I received the email last night that my deposit is being returned and that my card has graduated. Yay! For the record, my TU Fico via the Discover app is 649. I don't think I'll see anywhere close to 700's until my last (pif) CO drops off next spring. Use the card regularly, but always pay off the balance before the statement cuts.

So my question is, does this card graduate to an actual Discover IT Cashback? I don't see anywhere to activate the 5% category, so I'm guessing it's like a hybrid, no longer a Secured IT, but not really the Cashback card either.

If you'd like to change it to the 5% categories card, they'll do it for you. I called and got a pc to the 5% on my husband's secured Discover in June or July. At that time he'd had the card for 2 or 3 months.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@delaney1 wrote:
If you'd like to change it to the 5% categories card, they'll do it for you. I called and got a pc to the 5% on my husband's secured Discover in June or July. At that time he'd had the card for 2 or 3 months.

Thanks! That answers my second question. I see the difference now that I'm looking closer at their site, the 5% isn't in addition to the 1-2% rewards, it's just 5% in the category for that quarter. For some reason I thought it was just an additional category on the unsecured card, like you got 1% on everything, 2% on restaurants and gas, and then 5% in different categories. That's a little too awesome now that I think about it. You get one or the other... so I think I'll stick with the 2% now that I know that.

Message 5 of 14
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

You just needed to wait for 1 statement before you can request a pc

Message 6 of 14
delaney1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@delaney1 wrote:

Thanks! That answers my second question. I see the difference now that I'm looking closer at their site, the 5% isn't in addition to the 1-2% rewards, it's just 5% in the category for that quarter. For some reason I thought it was just an additional category on the unsecured card, like you got 1% on everything, 2% on restaurants and gas, and then 5% in different categories. That's a little too awesome now that I think about it. You get one or the other... so I think I'll stick with the 2% now that I know that.

You get 5% on categories and 1% on everything else. Since you get the cashback match after the first year. It's technically 10% on categories and 2% everywhere else.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@delaney1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@delaney1 wrote:

You get 5% on categories and 1% on everything else. Since you get the cashback match after the first year. It's technically 10% on categories and 2% everywhere else.

Ahhh, right. Good call. I wish I had realized earlier on I could've switched to that, I've been missing out big time. Thanks for all the helpful info!

Message 8 of 14
delaney1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@delaney1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@delaney1 wrote:

Ahhh, right. Good call. I wish I had realized earlier on I could've switched to that, I've been missing out big time. Thanks for all the helpful info!

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm thinking you may be able to change to something else if you'd like. Not sure if you have to wait til next statement cuts. In any case, Here's the link to the online card conversion where you can do it yourself. https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/help-center/faqs/change-rewards-program.html

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Graduated after 6 months? That's great! I got mine in June, first statement cut in July. I'm hoping I'll graduate in February, as that'll be my 8th statement but I've paid off all of my personal charge offs and I've been using this card heavily. If you graduated at 6 months that gives me hope I can get my deposit back sooner. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.