Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about adding AU?

tag
andre181
Established Contributor

Question about adding AU?

Hey gang, I had a couple questions and I knew you guys would be my best resource.

DM filed BK7 some years ago, and this year all her accounts that were IIB should be falling off. She has reestablished her credit pretty well in the mean time, her TU FICO is 678 atm.  She has two Capital One CC's, both around 50% util. She has given me her two credit cards so that she cannot use them so she can get them paid down, and I have put them in my safe deposit box.

I want to add her as a AU to one or two of my cards for a couple of reasons:

• To lower her util
  • So she has a credit card to use for her, in case of emergencies. I know my mom and if its my account, she wouldn't use it unless absolutely nessacary.
  • I often will ask her to go to the store and buy me something, and I pay her back for it. This way I don't have to pay her back, I can just pay the CC.
I am going to be going on a business trip soon for a month, and I want to make sure that if anything happens, she has a credit card to use.
I'm thinking I will add her to my Citi Forward as its my highest CL and lowest APR. Will Citi report on her CR?
I thought I read that either Chase or Citi only reports on the AU's CR if they live at the same address. We don't.
Or which of my other cards would you recommend I add her? 
Thanks guys!

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about adding AU?

Try your Capital One or Chase card. They report to all 3 bureaus for authorized users. I've never heard of the same address conflict.

Message 2 of 7
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

andre181, I'm not trying to be cold here, just trying to be as realistic as your Mom appears to be.

If she has substantially rebuilt her credit, why on God's Earth would she need you to hold credit cards she obtained on her own, unless she felt that she may have a problem in handling them?

Do not add her as an AU.  If she needs something, make that choice for yourself only when it needs to be made.  Carte blanche is not a good idea here, IMO.

No offense intended, and I hope none taken.

Message 3 of 7
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Once you add her as an AU, it will report to the 3 CBs as an AU. However, be prepared that if she over spends, your score could take a hit if the UTIL gets high. It's your mom and you know her better than anyone of the ppl here in this forum.

Personally, I wouldn't add her. She has 2 CC, just have her pay those down and manage her own CL and improve her score using that route. That way, you won't have any unforseen problems down the road. Over time, her score will improve as there is no quick easy fix.

Message 4 of 7
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

You don't seem to be concerned about her using the card for non-emergencies, so this suggestion may not be relevant.  But I believe you can set a limit for AUs with Amex.  You could add her as an AU to your Blue instead and have control of how much she can spend.  That won't help with utilization as much, but if she isn't planning to apply for new credit anytime soon, her utilization isn't really a big deal.  It will improve as she pays down her other cards.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 7
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

Just to answer your question...

My wife is an AU on my Citi Plat. Select MC. They report her to all 3 bureaus. We have the same address. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 6 of 7
andre181
Established Contributor

Thanks guys!

I decided to add her to my Citi Forward and Amex Blue

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.