Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for GF

tag
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

Question for GF

My gf is receiving offers in the mail from discover about every week. Her credit is average. She has never been late on anything and util is 0%, but doesnt have much history. student loans for a couple of years and a kohls card for about a year now.

She was thinking of apping for a wal mart card, big lots card, and discover. the store cards mainly to use for the 0% interest for 12 months, for our new apt. and the discover to get a nice revolver in her wallet to help build that way she'd have more payments reporting and start seeing some growth in her score.

I dont know what to advise her on this so Im asking you guys. Does this sound like a good idea for her. She said her score was around 687 fako, no negatives though.

Should she wait or do it now for maximum AAoA?

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question for GF

I would suggest Walmart card, it comes with free FICO score and good in CLI.

Not sure about the chances with Discover but it is worth trying.

Message 2 of 14
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would suggest Walmart card, it comes with free FICO score and good in CLI.

Not sure about the chances with Discover but it is worth trying.

Yeah, I was surprised they send her so much stuff. figured we'd try their pre approval site tonight and see what they said.

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 3 of 14
lithium78
Established Contributor

Discover is a worthwhile card to have for all the bonuses, like the 5% categories and ShopDiscover.  With her lack of history, they may start her out with a low CL (like $1000) and give her the 3.9% for six months and 20.9% afterward APR.  As long as she has another card for regular use as well, it might be worth her time.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 14
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

she doesnt use credit cards. she has a kohls card for the discounts because we shop there for our work attire, but she always pays it off at the register. She is a smart responsible girle, and Im trying to help her and guide her to avoid my past mistakes at her age.

If the card was 1k limit, thatd be fine for her. she really just wants something with no AF, that could be useful right now (such as 0% promo rate), and things to help build a thicker file.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

she doesnt use credit cards. she has a kohls card for the discounts because we shop there for our work attire, but she always pays it off at the register. She is a smart responsible girle, and Im trying to help her and guide her to avoid my past mistakes at her age.

If the card was 1k limit, thatd be fine for her. she really just wants something with no AF, that could be useful right now (such as 0% promo rate), and things to help build a thicker file.

I got discover card with 1500 CL at 8 month history. Give it a try if you have clean record and good income.

Message 6 of 14
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I like the idea of her applying for Discover and Chase Freedom or Amex Zync, and then applying for the Wal Mart or big lots card.   major cards are better than retail cards.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 14
gettnthere
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

I like the idea of her applying for Discover and Chase Freedom or Amex Zync, and then applying for the Wal Mart or big lots card.   major cards are better than retail cards.

+1, she definitely needs a major/national bank card

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 14
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

Exactly. She just got off the phone with discover ad she was approved for 1k. Very excited for her Smiley Happy she is debating on a store card to get or something with perks.
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:
Exactly. She just got off the phone with discover ad she was approved for 1k. Very excited for her Smiley Happy she is debating on a store card to get or something with perks.

Congratulations!!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.