Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question

How do you prove to a ccc that you can afford a higher credit limit? I make about 60K a year but I have a BOA amex with only 2K. Without requesting a CLI, how can you show that your CL is too low for your spending. I was thinking charge to the max and PIF every month, but then I'll be a deadbeat in their eyes. So..... I was thinking of charging about 1,500 then making a 3000 dollar payment. Which would leave my balance at negative 1,500.  When they look they'll see i'm giving them money.. lol 
I don't know... any ideas??

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question

How long have you had this card and is your payment history good? What are your FICO scores especially EX. BoA will not pull a hard inq when asking for a CLI unless they tell you they have to. So in essence, it's possible to change your mind before they tell you they need to pull the trigger and hard you.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long have you had this card and how old is your credit history? Do you have any other cards? Do they have any balances?
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fused wrote:
How long have you had this card and is your payment history good? What are your FICO scores especially EX. BoA will not pull a hard inq when asking for a CLI unless they tell you they have to. So in essence, it's possible to change your mind before they tell you they need to pull the trigger and hard you.

Jinx! (sorta) Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never been late. In Dec 2007, EX fico was 710.  I asked for CLI in Nov and was only told " not at this time".  I've had the card since 05. Only other card is a cap 1 since 06.  Util is about 8%.  The BOA is always PIF

Message Edited by turbowrx on 02-21-2008 04:35 PM
Message 5 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I would ask again so long as they will not do a hard inq. You have nothing to lose in this situation. If this doesn't work, we might need to go to level 2 and maybe even level 1.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you make them "want" to give you more??
Message 7 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Did they tell you you were denied for income reasons. 60K annual income is a lot of money in comparison to what your current credit lines are. You gotta spend and feed a little bit of interest money to BoA. Here are the tactics I have used in the past.

1.) First check to see if a special BT is available and ask questions with the BoA CSR and pretend to be interested, but decline the offer if one is available. They might try and entice you by offering a CLI to get you to bit the BT bait. My wife got a large CLI doing this.

2.) This is a last resort, but threaten to close the account and remind them of your good credit scores, perfect payment history with BoA and your others creditors. Tell them you are now in a position to get what you want with other CCCs if BoA doesn't give you what you want and deserve. See how they respond. Also, it's a good idea to climb the ladder with CCCs. Don't just settle for a final decision from a peon punching bag CSR, talk with managers and decision-makers.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Never been late. In Dec 2007, EX fico was 710. I asked for CLI in Nov and was only told " not at this time". I've had the card since 05. Only other card is a cap 1 since 06. Util is about 8%. The BOA is always PIF

Message Edited by turbowrx on 02-21-2008 04:35 PM

When you asked for the CLI in Nov, did they pull a hard inquiry? If not, maybe you can call and ask again and if they say, "not at this time," maybe that's your opportunity to ask "when?" "why?" or any suggestions. Some CSRs, not all, and with various banks do seem interested in being helpful.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thx
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.