Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Question..

tag
JT44
Valued Member

Quick Question..

If Im just gardening for a while, is it better to have low utilization every month on your revolving accounts and pay 100% every month? Or actually keep a balance that is around 5-10% utilization. I assume its best to keep utilization down below 10% and then pay it off, every month, 100%. Is this correct? THANKS!

Started a little over a year ago: LOW 500's

Now as of /20/13: FICO EX: 709 TU: 706 EQ: 682
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Quick Question..

if you are gardening, it doesn't matter what your utilization is. If you can pay it off, then you should to avoid any interest fees.

However if you have 0% APR offers, feel free to drag it on since it's interest free.

Your scores will drop temporarily, but it doesn't matter since you're not applying for anything.

Just dont put really high balances on a few cards because you might get FR.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

If your not planning to apply for new credit it really doesn't matter

@JT44 wrote:

If Im just gardening for a while, is it better to have low utilization every month on your revolving accounts and pay 100% every month? Or actually keep a balance that is around 5-10% utilization. I assume its best to keep utilization down below 10% and then pay it off, every month, 100%. Is this correct? THANKS!

/

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 7
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Ive gotten fat and lazy in my garden and so have my balances! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 7
codimom
Frequent Contributor

NO NO, no fat lazy balances.  to the treadmill with those and work them down Smiley Happy

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 6 of 7
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

It doesn't really matter and when and if it does matter, the correct answer varies from person to person, credit report to credit report. Some say you should carry a zero balance on all cards but one and on that one card you should carry a balance of less than 9% util but more than 0 but some find that having more than one card with a small balance is better so it really varies., ..

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.