cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick way to keep credit card accounts active?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick way to keep credit card accounts active?

I’m at a point now where I only use certain cards but I want to keep the other accounts active at this time for my overall profile.

I’m not a big “buy a pack of gum” person - I’d like to do small and useful credit charges on my computer all in one go and pay it off right away so I can set it and forget it and keep the accounts alive.

I heard the amazon gift card loading isn’t valid anymore? I ran a search on here but didn’t see any information on that. I know that was a popular way people kept their accounts active.

I’d love to know everyone’s strategies on keeping all their accounts active, especially those who have streamlined the task.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Quick way to keep credit card accounts active?

Load an Amazon GC for $5 from each card. 

Theres no reason why this wouldn’t work. The only time it wouldn’t is if you are charging such a small amount that it gets forgiven which $5 should avoid with every issuer. 

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I should have been more clear, I think read people were charging .50 cents to $1 on their Amazon GC - but that option isn’t valid anymore?

Good to see you can still load on GCs regardless!
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Every 6 months or so I take all of my out-of-rotation cards to the gas station and fill up my truck two bucks at a time...
Message 4 of 16
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Find a utility that doesn't charge a fee for using a card and put a small charge on it every now and again.  I keep my less active cards busy by throwing an occasional $10 charge from Verizon Wireless or my cable provider.  Neither charges a fee and once I charge I push payment and forget about it for another 2-3 months.  Keeping a card active isn't that hard and doesn't require you to go out and make a pack of gum purchase. 

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I should have been more clear, I think read people were charging .50 cents to $1 on their Amazon GC - but that option isn’t valid anymore?

Good to see you can still load on GCs regardless!

It’s valid — the problem is that some issuers will forgive such a small debt. It really shouldn’t matter if you pay it before the statement is cut though. The only time it would matter would be if you were wanting to show utilization when the statement cuts. 

$5 is high enough that it doesn’t risk forgiveness by the lender for reporting purposes but any charge amount should keep a card active. Just because something should happen on paper though doesn’t make it a guarantee. 

Keep in mind some issuers will stop reporting if you don’t put charges on their card, even if they leave it open. My SSFCU card is like this and it bothers the heck out of me that they will stop reporting on months I don’t use it and then report satisfactory history for all of the months they didn’t report when I throw a charge on it and pay it off. 

Message 6 of 16
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Do you use Netflix or Hulu? I try to now rotate my SD cards and use one for 6 months then rotate, yeah I am talking about you Citi and Amex lol.

EXP 780 EQ 796 TU 806
Message 7 of 16
digitek
Established Contributor

Currently only my oldest account on this kind of life support, but recurring subscription on a card with Auto-Pay automates the whole process.  You never have to worry about it, ever.

Any kind of small monthly bill will do.

Message 8 of 16
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

I buy bowling supplies on eBay and Amazon pretty much monthly (right around $25-$35/month). So I use one or two cards strictly for that, one card for gas station food/groceries and one for any monthly subscriptions/memberships that I do.

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 9 of 16
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I think the easiest way to handle this is to make the small charge and pay it off when it posts. That way, the job is done for another few months.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.