Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quicksilver vs Venture?

tag
Legal_Girl
Frequent Contributor

Quicksilver vs Venture?

Hi 'guys'.

Just for the heck of it, I checked for upgrades on the Cap 1 website.  I could 'upgrade' from quicksilver to venture.  Since I work and don't take many trips, especially far enough to fly, from what I can see when comparing the 2 cards, I am better off staying with QS.  Let me know if I missed something in comparison.  As always, Thank you all.

Homeowner Again as of July 17, 2014. Thanks to the VA and NFCU. FICOs EQ - 786/EX - 782/TU - 778/Quicksilver $3,500 / Cred 1 $2,875 / 1st Natl $4,250/ Kohls Visa $5k / Mercury MC $5,850 / NFCU Visa Sig Cash Rew $27k/ Lowes $25k / Best Buy Visa $11k/ NFCU LOC $15k / Walmart MC $7.5k / Chase Freedom Unlimited $1,500 / Discover IT $27,000 / Discover IT Chrome $21,500 / Citi DC $7,300 / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $17,500 / Citi Simplicity $18,500 / Citi Premier $8,200 / Care Credit $10k/ AMEX Gold - NSL / Chase Sapphire Preferred $20,500
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Quicksilver vs Venture?

The ONLY reason anyone would want the venture is for the sign up bonus. Without it the card is a fee harvester giving you 2% limited to specific category when other cards give you the same 2% unrestricted and more importandly with 0 annual fee.

Message 2 of 11
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

If you don't travel a lot (enough to justify the annual fee) then you're better off staying with the QS in my opinion.  Venture comes with an annual fee and it's "miles" can only be redeemed at full value for travel related purchases.  If it were me I'd stick with the QS.  

Message 3 of 11
Legal_Girl
Frequent Contributor

Thank  you.  I think I am better off with Quicksilver.

Homeowner Again as of July 17, 2014. Thanks to the VA and NFCU. FICOs EQ - 786/EX - 782/TU - 778/Quicksilver $3,500 / Cred 1 $2,875 / 1st Natl $4,250/ Kohls Visa $5k / Mercury MC $5,850 / NFCU Visa Sig Cash Rew $27k/ Lowes $25k / Best Buy Visa $11k/ NFCU LOC $15k / Walmart MC $7.5k / Chase Freedom Unlimited $1,500 / Discover IT $27,000 / Discover IT Chrome $21,500 / Citi DC $7,300 / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $17,500 / Citi Simplicity $18,500 / Citi Premier $8,200 / Care Credit $10k/ AMEX Gold - NSL / Chase Sapphire Preferred $20,500
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

.015x=.02x - (95)

Solve this equation. If the amount you spend on the card is over your answer, get the Venture. If the amount you spend on the card is below your answer, keep the Quicksilver.
Message 5 of 11
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymouswrote:
.015x=.02x - (95)

Solve this equation. If the amount you spend on the card is over your answer, get the Venture. If the amount you spend on the card is below your answer, keep the Quicksilver.

If the OP doesn't travel and won't be redeeming these "miles" at full value then it's still not worth it to switch.  I don't care how the numbers shake out...if you don't travel theres no need to have a card that only allows full redemption in a category that you won't take advantage of.   

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The OP did say he/she doesn't travel far and often. So it is possible for him/her to redeem for full value for the short trips that are taken once in a while.
Message 7 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
.015x=.02x - (95)

This is true if the choice is just between those cards (which to be fair is the subject line!).   But the argument against the Venture, after the first year free and SUB, is that there are several free 2%, and, except for foreign purchases, they are better than Venture because of the AF  (and I think the Penfed card also has no FTF).

Message 8 of 11
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Venture is a travel card.  If you seldom travel, don't get it.  The same advice applies to all other travel cards.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 9 of 11
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

One other thing to consider is that you don't HAVE to redeem for travel to get full value. If you redeem for gift cards, you get full value and there is a pretty good selection, with Amazon being a catch-all if you don't like the others.

Although as mentioned, I certainly would never PC to a Venture, especially since they hired the annual fee.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.