Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduce Cap 1 annual fee

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reduce Cap 1 annual fee

Has anyone had luck getting cap one to eliminate their annual fee on the Cap 1 Platinum card? I have picked up some prime cards and will not be using this anymore. I do not want to close the account though...

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Reduce Cap 1 annual fee

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone had luck getting cap one to eliminate their annual fee on the Cap 1 Platinum card? I have picked up some prime cards and will not be using this anymore. I do not want to close the account though...

You could try using your prime cards as leverage for a AF removal, There have been people reporting success with it but it's rare.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 11
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

I've tried atleast 5-6 times in the past 2 years to get the AF reduced from $60/yr on my platinum card and no luck.

They will be gone this year after i make my car purchase.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

That sucks, $60 is a nice bottle of scotch. Maybe there is a way to convince them to convert the card into a card with no annual fee. Any success with that folks?

Message 4 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That sucks, $60 is a nice bottle of scotch. Maybe there is a way to convince them to convert the card into a card with no annual fee. Any success with that folks?

There is very slim to none chance on Cap1 PC's.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 11
drkaje
Senior Contributor

A buddy of mine had an AF card of theirs (post BK) and they would not waive the AF. Even 8 years post-BK, they still would not budge despite giving him another card. Here's the kicker... it had a $10K limit!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

A buddy of mine had an AF card of theirs (post BK) and they would not waive the AF. Even 8 years post-BK, they still would not budge despite giving him another card. Here's the kicker... it had a $10K limit!

Things like that futher push Crap1 down to subprime!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 11
drkaje
Senior Contributor

It's odd. They really made no serious effort to retain an 8+ year old account with perfect history.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just had both my crap1 af's waived in a single phone call.
The senior rep I spoke to knew that anything else was a lost cause.
Total of $69 credited ($11 more than the af's combined, go fig).
He knew it was the only way to retain me given the rest of my portfolio lol.
He also gave me some important bits of info...
In order to manually override an upgrade and force the system to add rewards and change tiers...
They are actually able to do that in his dept but the system won't allow it unless the CL is $2500 or greater.
He also told me to try the monkey button in 6 months (hah) or call the senior reps back.
Not sure what he was getting at but wth, since he waived the AF's I'll humor him Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
In order to manually override an upgrade and force the system to add rewards and change tiers...
They are actually able to do that in his dept but the system won't allow it unless the CL is $2500 or greater.

And since we're talking about Capital One, most of us will never see a CL like that, no matter what the rest of our card portfolio looks like Smiley Mad

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.