Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rejected from Citibank Card from bad account history in 1994

tag
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Rejected from Citibank Card from bad account history in 1994

If they didn't even pull your credit you can be fairly certain you've been blacklisted. Banks have very long memories, including Citi.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 11 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@hoodun wrote:

Doesnt look like they did a hard pull. They just based the decision off a 300 card I had with them back when I was in college. I already have a 3k card with Bank of America, a 2500 with Discover, and a 2500 with cap1, so I am not too concerned. It just seems ludicrous to me that they would remember a college card from twenty years ago and still use it against me. Especially when I walked into the bank and paid in full after missing three months. ...I was a college kid. 

Anyway, at least they did not do a hard pull. 

Yup, sounds like you are blacklisted Smiley Sad

That worries me because I had a CO back in 2003 and they did HP me 2 years ago when I went for a Citi card. Cited "Past Delinquency".

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 12 of 19
hoodun

Actually, I just checked and they did HP me. Unforgiving bastards. I had a couple charge offs with Cap1 ten years ago and they gave me several cards even with the COs still on my report. I'm blacklisting Citibank and stickin gwith Chase, B of A, US Bank Cap1, and Discover. Thats my current line up so I do not really need Citibank. It was more of a psychological thing to correct move past my previous mistakes in life. They will not let me , so screw them. 

Message 13 of 19
enharu
Super Contributor

@hoodun wrote:

Actually, I just checked and they did HP me. Unforgiving bastards. I had a couple charge offs with Cap1 ten years ago and they gave me several cards even with the COs still on my report. I'm blacklisting Citibank and stickin gwith Chase, B of A, US Bank Cap1, and Discover. Thats my current line up so I do not really need Citibank. It was more of a psychological thing to correct move past my previous mistakes in life. They will not let me , so screw them. 

you can't really blame them though.

burn any prime lender, and they'll blacklist you. would you lend money to a friend that never paid you back during college days? same logic there.

cap 1 rarely blacklists anyone because they're dealing with subprime customers. its kinda expected that people in that subgroup are more likely (or very likely) to default, thus the low CL and higher fees.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 14 of 19
sjt
Senior Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@hoodun wrote:

burn any prime lender, and they'll blacklist you. would you lend money to a friend that never paid you back during college days? same logic there.

cap 1 rarely blacklists anyone because they're dealing with subprime customers. its kinda expected that people in that subgroup are more likely (or very likely) to default, thus the low CL and higher fees.

I dont blame lenders at all for blacklisting either, but if you pay them back in full, they should not hold that against you. Its actually a disincentive not to ever pay them back. Amex and Navy will let you back in if you pay them back.

PS: I know Im responding to an old post, but I had to add my 2 cents.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 15 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sjt wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@hoodun wrote:

I dont blame lenders at all for blacklisting either, but if you pay them back in full, they should not hold that against you. Its actually a disincentive not to ever pay them back. Amex and Navy will let you back in if you pay them back.

PS: I know Im responding to an old post, but I had to add my 2 cents.

Not sure.   In most cases it's not the money that is important (banks have lots!) more the risk.  They might be paid back, but they weren't paid on time, as agreed, so they view the individual as a big risk, and choose not to have another relationship with them. 

Message 16 of 19
sjt
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Not sure.   In most cases it's not the money that is important (banks have lots!) more the risk.  They might be paid back, but they weren't paid on time, as agreed, so they view the individual as a big risk, and choose not to have another relationship with them. 

I agree that past history is important in assessing a credit relationship with a lender and that all things should be taken into consideration, including the fact you paid them off in full. My point is that you should not automatically be denied for credit (ie backlisted) if you PIF.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 17 of 19
enharu
Super Contributor

Technically if you paid them a few years later what you owed at that time, you technically didn't pay in full, because the lender lost money on the accrued interests as well. They are essentially getting less money than what they lent out because the money you paid back doesn't account for inflation either. I doubt any lender will make you pay for all the accrued interests either. That will make the amount owed too prohibitive for most people to want to pay back.

And like longtimelurker said, it has to do with risk. For example, people who declared BK before, are statistically proven to be more likely to do so again.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 18 of 19
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

@hoodun wrote:

I was rejected from a citibank card because I had a bad account history with them in 1994. The account was three month past due and going into collections when I paid it off in full. It was my first card in college. I ssumed this would go away after 7 years?

first off, sorry to here about your denied app w citi...you mentioned your account being in 1994...when did you pay them off? i agree with others that it falls off after 7 years, but not necessarily on the banks' system (blacklist book). how much was your TL then that got closed?

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.