cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting cli upon activation with Citi,possible?

tag
danielodonoll
New Contributor

Requesting cli upon activation with Citi,possible?

I know alot of things but we always learn more and i still believe i should ask some one here if they had any experience on getting a credit line increase on a Citi honors reserve credit card upon activation ?Approved at 10.5k still waiting on the card to arrive.

Thanks for any advice

Citi Bank X2/ 29k-USAA Amex/Mastercard 24k-PP Mastercard 20k_
WMDiscover 20k-PenFed X2/15k
Current Fico/EQ-765
Garden Time Day- 10
Remaining Days-170
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: Requesting cli upon activation with Citi,possible?

@danielodonoll wrote:

I know alot of things but we always learn more and i still believe i should ask some one here if they had any experience on getting a credit line increase on a Citi honors reserve credit card upon activation ?Approved at 10.5k still waiting on the card to arrive.

Thanks for any advice

Anything is possible, if you ask.  Question is, do you have the numbers to back it up?

What's your profile look like, ie, total credit picture?  Do you have cards in the +$10K range?  They will likely ask why you need it, so...why do you need it? Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 15
danielodonoll
New Contributor

I have 4 cards at 20k each

I need this card since i travel a lot and book hotels

Score 751fico

i have 1 more card with citi at 9k

14yrs credit history

Current Fico/EQ-765
Garden Time Day- 10
Remaining Days-170
Message 3 of 15
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@danielodonoll wrote:

Score 751fico

14yrs credit history

Assuming minimal INQ, I'd say you're probably a shoo in for a CLI.  CITI can be very generous. 

Message 4 of 15
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

A little bit ago a poster was able to do it. I don't remember exactly what the amount was but it was around 5000 more I think.

Message 5 of 15
danielodonoll
New Contributor

I just dont wanna push my luck with them since is already good starting limit

So should i go ahead and ask them to go from 10k to 15k? assuming will be a soft pull

Current Fico/EQ-765
Garden Time Day- 10
Remaining Days-170
Message 6 of 15
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I really have no experience with this so am not sure. You should probably just be sure you ask that they not pull credit again and see if they can use the same report.

Message 7 of 15
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@danielodonoll wrote:

Score 751fico

14yrs credit history

If I were in your place, I'd call a back door number and talk to an analyst.  Tell them you're excited about getting the card, but had hoped to match your other limits, that the automatic approval "only" gave you the limit you got. Ask if s/he could match your OTHER current limits, with the explanation that you do a LOT of travel and want to take advantage of the usefulness of the CITI card!   Schmooze them a bit, let them know how much you like CITI, hence the 2nd card and the CLI increase request!   You'll be amazed at how a bit of schmoozing will get you what you want.  Just make sure it's a SP or that they use the prior pull.

Message 8 of 15
danielodonoll
New Contributor

Thom, thats a fantastic idea and much appreciate it.

i have methods with underwriters but man i just think its alot better to ask in this forum cause you know what they say 2 heads are better then one.lolSmiley Happy

ps i always believe there is someone else smarter then we are always.Thats why is always good to ask.

In a way i feel like a big family here helping eachother,God bless Fico Forum 

Current Fico/EQ-765
Garden Time Day- 10
Remaining Days-170
Message 9 of 15
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

I see you plan on using this for booking hotels (and grabbing the points too - great) but do you really need the extra limit? Are you actually going to use the additional $4,500 you want? If so call them and tell them you have a lot of upcoming stuff bla bla bla need the limit. I also see you have a Citi card with a $9,000 limit in place. They did increase you a bit over the other card, I am new to Citi but I bet they assigned you a comfortable limit based on data they have. Do you use the other Citi card a lot? Get close to the limit often? Those are points that help get an increase in my opinion. I just don't know how Citi responds to stuff like this. 

I do have another idea - apply for the AMEX Hilton Honors card. It's another HP but another bonus. The Citi card got you a fee weekend and lifetime Gold status. Adding the no fee AMEX HHonors card will get you 40,000 additional points for $750 spend. The AMEX Surpass would get you 40,000 points after first purchase then 20,000 after $3,000 spend in 90 days. Comes with a AF of $75 and would double your Gold status but offers 2 more points per dollar for Hilton spend. 

If you had one card from AMEX and Citi you could use them for about a year and keep the best option and get AF waived off the winner by calling in and telling them you plan on canceling one for the other. I bet they would offer statement credit or points to retain you. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.