Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDFCU Secured Card - Unsecure

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

SDFCU Secured Card - Unsecure

Did any one had luck with their SDFCU Secured Card becoming unsecure. I had the card for about 19 months so far and wanted to see if they would make it unsecure. The CSR claims I have to apply for new card. That is not what I know of. When I applied for the card they told me it would become unsecure. I have no desire to apply for a new card. I just want my existing card to become unsecure. Did any one had any luck in getting their SDFCU Secured Card become unsecure ?

8 REPLIES 8
tbque
Valued Contributor

Re: SDFCU Secured Card - Unsecure

As you can see I have the SDFCU secured card and it hasn't unsecured in over 5 years. The CSR tells me they review my account once a year to see if it's eligible to unsecure but they can't tell me when that happens each year? I just keep it open as a reminder of my rebuild and to not go screw up again!

Message 2 of 9
Papa_Bear
Frequent Contributor

Mine and my wife's both unsecured at 13 months. I believe there are a couple of other folks on this board who have had similar experiences this year as well.

Message 3 of 9
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Papa_Bear wrote:
Mine and my wife's both unsecured at 13 months. I believe there are a couple of other folks on this board who have had similar experiences this year as well.

When I opened my secured card about 20 months ago they told me it would eventually graduate or upgrade. Now they are changing the tune and want me to apply for a new card. I have no desire to apply for new card from them or any other CU or Bank. Now I need to decide if I should leave my secured card with them the way it is now for few more years and let it age. There is no AF but no rewards. Or if I should keep the card alive and reduce the limit / security deposit and move the money to another secured card that is offering rewards and better features. Recently I came across Sable Secured Cards. It seems to be very nice. I applied got approved and waiting for the card to come.

Message 4 of 9
vinblastine
Valued Member

It's been over a year for me. I called them and they said it's computerized. I plan on closing my secured credit card next month and using the $4900 for something else.

Message 5 of 9
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@vinblastine wrote:

It's been over a year for me. I called them and they said it's computerized. I plan on closing my secured credit card next month and using the $4900 for something else.

They keep telling me similar story and asked me to apply for a new account. I told them I have no interest to apply for a new account with them since there are so many other options. It is one of the cards I need to close and take the deposit out and put it towards another secured card that at least would give rewards. Check out Sable Secured Card. It offers 2% on streaming and 1% on all other purchases. No AF, No FTF and we can have upto $10,000 in limit. Many other benefits. Since there is no AF I am thinking of leaving the SDFCU Secured Card Account open for few days and let the account age and show positive results. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't know this. Mines has just hit the 1 year mark. I was under the assumption that the secured cards did graduate to unsecure. I was not aware that it didn't. Otherwise I probally should of shut it down if I have to still do another inquiry. 

Message 7 of 9
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't know this. Mines has just hit the 1 year mark. I was under the assumption that the secured cards did graduate to unsecure. I was not aware that it didn't. Otherwise I probally should of shut it down if I have to still do another inquiry. 

Call them and find out. You might have a different result  Good Luck.

Message 8 of 9
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I called SDFCU about this yesterday. I read the card can graduate when I was reseraching secured cards for my rebuild last April. I recently saw a post that said it doesn't so I wanted to see what they said. The rep I spoke with told me accounts are reviewed yearly. I'm hoping my graduates after having it for 12 months. This is currently my highest limit card ($6500.) If not, I'll let it ride for another year then close the account if it doesn't graduate  then. I should have plenty of other options by then. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.