cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

San DIego County Credit Union (SDCCU) Does anyone have any DP's or info in regards their cards?

tag
Royalbacon
Frequent Contributor

San DIego County Credit Union (SDCCU) Does anyone have any DP's or info in regards their cards?

I'm in the process of joining this credit union, and it's going to be a HP (EX I believe) and was just wondering if anyone has any DPs in regards to their credit cards such as if they're conservative or not, BK friendly, or if I can reuse the HP I incurred from joining? I found next to no info searching old threads here on MyFico but they're currently the 14th largest CU in the country in terms of assets and open nationwide via paying $8 to the Financial Fitness Assocation so maybe someone here is a member and can maybe chime in. Thank you in advance!

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Filed-September 2020 Discharged-December 2020
Kohl's Credit Card $3000 Limit (Opened October 2016) Survived Bankruptcy for whatever reason
Closed Capital One Venture One $3000 Limit (Opened December 2020, Closed by me September 2022 since I wanted the SavorOne and couldn't product change to it)
Capital One Auto Loan (Opened March 2021)
Capital One Cabela's $5000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
America First Credit Union Visa $1000 Limit (Opened December 2021)
Capital One SavorOne $5500 Limit (Opened September 2022)
Sam's Club Mastercard Synchrony Bank $2500 Limit (Opened March 30 2023) (Burned Synchrony in my CH7 BK, One card with a $745 balance)
Idaho Central Credit Union ICCU Visa $10,000 Limit (Opened April 2023)
17 REPLIES 17
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Re: San DIego County Credit Union (SDCCU) Does anyone have any DP's or info in regards their cards?

What is special about the CU and/or their cards?  https://www.sdccu.com/credit-cards-and-loans/visa-cards/  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 2 of 18
Matt9543
Established Contributor

Re: San DIego County Credit Union (SDCCU) Does anyone have any DP's or info in regards their cards?

So to be honest, they have some of the worst rates in San Diego, any credit union that charges above 18% APR is a no-go in my book, and seeing the commercials about how they're not big bank banking, but better is just bs. Their online banking isn't good, and their cards nor their products are anything to jump over.

There's other nationwide credit unions that offer better rates, better offers, and better card products.

I'd stay away

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 3 of 18
CaneVariant
Established Member

@ptatohed wrote:

What is special about the CU and/or their cards?  https://www.sdccu.com/credit-cards-and-loans/visa-cards/  

Nothing. Mission Fed is better across the board. edit their cards all have much lower apr's and they give good limits from what I have heard. About 3 years away for me.
Starting Score: 575
Current Score: 597
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 18
Royalbacon
Frequent Contributor

@CaneVariant wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

Nothing. Mission Fed is better across the board. edit their cards all have much lower apr's and they give good limits from what I have heard. About 3 years away for me.

Is Mission Fed open to anyone?

Membership | Mission Fed Credit Union

It does say Volunteers or members of partner organizations  Although I can't find a list anywhere of what organizations or anything.

Kohl's Credit Card $3000 Limit (Opened October 2016) Survived Bankruptcy for whatever reason
Closed Capital One Venture One $3000 Limit (Opened December 2020, Closed by me September 2022 since I wanted the SavorOne and couldn't product change to it)
Sam's Club Mastercard Synchrony Bank $2500 Limit (Opened March 30 2023) (Burned Synchrony in my CH7 BK, One card with a $745 balance)
Message 5 of 18
Matt9543
Established Contributor

@CaneVariant wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

When I joined Mission Fed I applied for the Premier World Mastercard and got approved for a $7,500 limit, no hard pull.

The reps told me they never do that and I was like.. well you didn't pull any of the big 3 cuz I have no HP's from you lol

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 6 of 18
Matt9543
Established Contributor

@Royalbacon wrote:

I'm in the process of joining this credit union, and it's going to be a HP (EX I believe) and was just wondering if anyone has any DPs in regards to their credit cards such as if they're conservative or not, BK friendly, or if I can reuse the HP I incurred from joining? I found next to no info searching old threads here on MyFico but they're currently the 14th largest CU in the country in terms of assets and open nationwide via paying $8 to the Financial Fitness Assocation so maybe someone here is a member and can maybe chime in. Thank you in advance!

To answer back to this, I do believe they re-use the HP. They're pretty conservative. I remember when I was trying to join when I was younger they denied me because I didn't have their minimum income, and I imagine with them being on the conservative side, they probably don't play well to BK.

Message 7 of 18
Royalbacon
Frequent Contributor

@Matt9543 wrote:

@Royalbacon wrote:

To answer back to this, I do believe they re-use the HP. They're pretty conservative. I remember when I was trying to join when I was younger they denied me because I didn't have their minimum income, and I imagine with them being on the conservative side, they probably don't play well to BK.

Okay thank you for the info, i'm excited to join them!

Message 8 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Royalbacon wrote:

I guess the question still is "Why?"! The credit cards look pretty bad (a 2% with a $95 AF, the free one offers just 1%).   But presumably there is some reason it appeals to you.

Message 9 of 18
Royalbacon
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Royalbacon wrote:

I guess the question still is "Why?"! The credit cards look pretty bad (a 2% with a $95 AF, the free one offers just 1%).   But presumably there is some reason it appeals to you.

The Travel card with the $35 annual fee looks good to me, and I can put $6000 spend on it per year to avoid the annual fee.

We'll see how it goes with them. Definitely been quite a process to join them from out of state (Minnesota is where I live)

-Filled out online application

-Received email next day with a paper application PDF for me to print and fill out and get notarized and mail to them along with a color photocopy of my drivers license and utility bill for address verification

-After they received it in the mail, they emailed asking me for permission to hard pull my credit to finish processing the application (I responded saying yes, they didn't get back to me before the end of the business day and I haven't received a hard pull yet)

-Received a seperate email shortly after saying i'm conditionally approved and they gave me a link to a secure upload to upload a picture of my drivers license even though I already mailed them a colored photo copy of it

-Got a third email saying they're sending two small deposits to the checking account I put on the application for membership to fund my opening deposit for my new SDCCU accounts and i'll need to verify those 2 small deposits once I receive them.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.