Setting your *2022* Card Strategy

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Setting your *2022* Card Strategy

@Junejer wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Junejer wrote:

I'm going to app for CSP and CFF to get above $150K TCL. I'm going to ask for SP CLI on SWPC and CFU. I'm also toying with the idea of closing my CapOne Venture. The problem is it's my oldest card (pretty much SD too) at 14 years. It started off as a Platinum with a $700 CL and hasn't done much growing since. It currently sits at $5,100. I think I'm on their fecal list or one of those bad buckets. Last time I asked for a CLI, I was flat out denied. They asked why I wanted an increase, I replied with greater TCL and potentially putting some larger purchases on there.

Just a bit of a sidebar on your TCL growth strategy @Junejer, Chase doesn't offer SP CLIs, they're always HP. However, you can reallocate your Chase limits without SP/HP as you wish. For SP CLIs, you can request them on your AmEx ED, Discover and Citi cards.

*#^%*(@ Chase. Of course they don't! What about CapOne? Are they SP? Hey gang, any thoughts on my desire to close if they don't play ball?

Yes, Capital One CLIs are SP ☑️

As far as Chase, if you use your cards a lot, and I mean A LOT (especially your new one) then it's likely they can be nudged to yield an automatic CLI. Granted, it's YEMV, but there's lots of DPs on some successes.  

Personally, I wouldn't close your Venture. Do you have an AF on it? If there's an AF, you can always switch it to the Quicksilver card, which still earns rewards w/o AF and preserves your account age.

If you're not rewards-focused as much, you can see if you pre-qualify for the FNBO Evergreen Visa card. Those limits seem to be pretty decent for a lot of folks who have recently pursued FNBO. Just some thoughts on your 2022 strategy 😁

Message 91 of 259
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@FinStar wrote:

@Junejer wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Junejer wrote:

I'm going to app for CSP and CFF to get above $150K TCL. I'm going to ask for SP CLI on SWPC and CFU. I'm also toying with the idea of closing my CapOne Venture. The problem is it's my oldest card (pretty much SD too) at 14 years. It started off as a Platinum with a $700 CL and hasn't done much growing since. It currently sits at $5,100. I think I'm on their fecal list or one of those bad buckets. Last time I asked for a CLI, I was flat out denied. They asked why I wanted an increase, I replied with greater TCL and potentially putting some larger purchases on there.

Just a bit of a sidebar on your TCL growth strategy @Junejer, Chase doesn't offer SP CLIs, they're always HP. However, you can reallocate your Chase limits without SP/HP as you wish. For SP CLIs, you can request them on your AmEx ED, Discover and Citi cards.

*#^%*(@ Chase. Of course they don't! What about CapOne? Are they SP? Hey gang, any thoughts on my desire to close if they don't play ball?

Yes, Capital One CLIs are SP ☑️

As far as Chase, if you use your cards a lot, and I mean A LOT (especially your new one) then it's likely they can be nudged to yield an automatic CLI. Granted, it's YEMV, but there's lots of DPs on some successes.  

Personally, I wouldn't close your Venture. Do you have an AF on it? If there's an AF, you can always switch it to the Quicksilver card, which still earns rewards w/o AF and preserves your account age.

If you're not rewards-focused as much, you can see if you pre-qualify for the FNBO Evergreen Visa card. Those limits seem to be pretty decent for a lot of folks who have recently pursued FNBO. Just some thoughts on your 2022 strategy 😁

Thanks @FinStar. I use my SWPC as my driver card. DW is AU and goes nuts on it. We put 8 - 12K per month on it and PIF monthly. I won't be able to do that with CFU, but will use it monthly to replace some of the SWPC usage.

NO AF on Venture. It's in the SD. I pull it out three or four times a year and spend maybe $100 total per year. Pffffftt. I'll see what they say in a couple of months.

Thanks for the info on FNBO. I'll check it out.

Edit: Pre-qualified for $15K at FNBO with 14.99% APR

Edit 2: Hit the continue button and got a message saying we will give you written update in 2 - 4 weeks. Smiley Surprised Doesn't sound very promising. LOL.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 92 of 259
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Did I really just read $8,000 to $12,000 monthly and PIF?

Message 93 of 259
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

Did I really just read $8,000 to $12,000 monthly and PIF?

Yes, you did.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 94 of 259
BeEasyMark
New Contributor

I was just approved for an Amex Patinum and Venture X last week, so I guess I have to chill out for 6 months or so. Will spend that time spending to get my SUB and then go for more cards to cover my bases. I am actually based overseas (Southeast Asia) but prefer to use US cards because the cards offered locally have crappy point earning abilities. I'd like to have both an Amex and a Visa covering categories in case some places don't take Amex here. I mainly transfer to Singapore Airlines to redeem.

Currently have: Amex Platinum, Amex Gold (AU), Capital One Venture X

Goal: Amex Gold of my own, Capital One Savor (depending on below), and a hotel card or two

My goal is to have these main categories covered:

Travel: Amex Platinum, Capital One Venture X

Dining: Amex Gold (AU) 4x, Capital One Savor (does this card earn 4% back on global dining?)

Hotel: Get a free night or two every year

Grab: Uber pulled out of Southeast Asia and merged with Grab, do any cards earn on international rideshare and food delivery? If not, I'll use my Venture X and get 2x.

Streaming services: Capital One Savor

Overall spend: Venture X

What is everyone's experience with Amex recognizing restaurants overseas for 4x? Does Capital One Savor 4% apply overseas?

Any other suggestions for the spending habits?

Message 95 of 259
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

2021: basically, AMEX drenched me in Platinum SUBs and good upgrade offers after telling me jn late 2020 I wouldn't be able to get a SUB on a vanilla Platinum, so I got 2 Platinums (CS as new, vanilla as Gold upgrade). Also took a baby step into Citi, got a good DL AMEX Gold offer. And PC'ed into a Venture X in preparation for a six week trip to Europe in 2022.

2022 goals are:

- drop my Cathay Pacific Sync card, you are the weakest link, goodbye

- slim down the AMEX profile and annual fee barrage since the low hanging fruit is mostly gone unless I want to go into upper end Delta cards or business cards (and that fruit isn't low hanging, five digit spending requirements on some of those cards, ugh). This might be "lose the CS Plat card, downgrade Vanilla platinum to Gold". There may be a use case for keeping Green.

- finish the vanilla Plat SUB

- get a Capital One SavorOne (or if I have to, Savor then a second year PC). Apparently the Savor points transfer. https://onemileatatime.com/reviews/credit-cards/capital-one/capital-one-savorone-cash-rewards-credit...

- garden (mostly, unless the Savor/SavorOne is available) to get in position to pick up Chase or Citi or BofA cards in late 2022/early 2023. Targets are: Hyatt, Alaska, possibly others depending on SUBs and the landscape at the time.

(I do need a grocery card that converts well into transferable points sometime around mid-2022 when a bonus falls off my Platinum card. We will see where we are by then.)

Use VentureX as primary card, and whichever AMEX/Discover/Amazon Sync card is generating best results as  category bonus card.

| Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi Custom Cash 11.9k | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 96 of 259
Bkist21
Valued Member

Well this year I went a little overboard.  Chase Freedom Unlimited, Bank of America Cash Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Barclays Aviator Red, and Chase Freedom Flex in that order.  All between May and last week.  Went from 0/24 to 5/24 within 6 months haha.  I "should" be gardening into 2023 but we shall see...

Message 97 of 259
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I think I'll once again consider paring down a few cards in 2022.  I just closed my personal Delta SkyMiles Platinum because I am drowning in unused companion passes since they kept getting extended and the AF didn't make financial sense.  Just months shy of 20 years as a member, that was my very first closed Amex account (I did try to close it in 2020, but got a retention offer that far outweighed the fee - and I did try to close Premier Rewards Gold a few years back but got a great retention offer and then I was glad I didn't close it since that got revamped as the current Gold Card).  As far as Amex goes, I am thinking that I will move the usual $30k or so of spend that goes on Delta Reserve to Business Delta Reserve in 2022 and play retention games or close the personal one when it renews near the end of the year (didn't do it this year because I had other spend offers early in the year and the timing of the MQM bonus at $30k and renewal were too close for comfort).

I am toying with the idea of closing Chase Sapphire Reserve and opening another one later.  It's been nearly 5 years since my last Sapphire SUB, so that would likely make good financial sense.  I'm also considering closing US Bank Altitude Reserve.  Apparently the WiFi passes are going away next year and with most places where I use a credit card in person, I actually have other cards that earn higher than the 4.5% for using mobile payment I get on AR.  Still definitely have some time on that one to decide.

I may once again consider closing a couple of CU cards, although I am not really in a rush to do so.  I planned to close a number of cards this year and ultimately it ended up just being the aforementioned Delta Platinum, Citi Premier, and NFCU More Rewards.  I am almost 2/24 and it's been almost 18 months since I opened my most recent personal credit card; I may try to go for the Marriott Bonvoy Bold with no SUB just so that I can PC it to the Ritz-Carlton card after a year, but unless something with a very enticing SUB comes along, I don't foresee adding anything else in 2022 unless I go for Amex BBP.

My rewards strategy is going to be the same in 2022 as it was in 2021 with only minor changes: Amex Gold for restaurants and grocery (effectively 8.67% back), Amex Platinum for airfare (effectively 10.83% back), Amex Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant for an extra 6x at hotels and Amex Marriott Bonvoy Business for 4x on fuel (fuzzy math with unknown new rewards structure), Synchrony Rakuten Visa for most online shopping (tied to MRs, so effectively a minimum of 8.53% and up to 50% or more (depending on store's earnings that day) back on pretty much everything), then the first $30k of non-category spending on Amex Delta Reserve (business rather than personal this year) using Chase Freedom 5x and US Bank Cash+ 5% categories as well as Amex Offers and store cards (Amazon and Target particularly) where it makes sense.  I may decide to go for the Amex Blue Business Plus (effectively 4.33% back on everything else) as well, because that does seem to fill the sole void I see in my lineup.

ETA: Any changes in the Business Platinum airfare rebate would drastically change my strategy.  Fortunately that doesn't seem to be on the horizon.

Message 98 of 259
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

I'd like to get to 0/12 on new accounts (just turned 2/12 today) which should be March 1st 2022, and try to get the elusive USB Cash+ and once that is approved (if approved Smiley Indifferent) I would immediately try for its look alike cousin (Elan Max: the Valley variety) and if approved or not, I should be good for a while. If for some reason I don't go for these, I could always try for a CHASE FF (Smiley Surprised) come October 2022 because I'll be 4/24 by then, but lord knows I doubt I will make that date Smiley LOL

Potential Future Cards
Message 99 of 259
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@quikj9 wrote:

@PoggersSlayer I read that Plainsville FCU 3.5% rewards card as a hypothetical unicorn card. Basically, "If something so spectacular exists in the future, I'll apply for it". 

Wow, if that one ever comes to pass, there's going to be a CC APP WAVE on here like the AOD Wave of April 2020! Smiley Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 100 of 259
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.