Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Ask for a CLI from Chase

tag
ncscgirl2005
New Contributor

Should I Ask for a CLI from Chase

I called Chase to see if I could get a CLI without a hard pull and they denied me. I gave them the blah blah blah about being a card holder since 2002 with no CLI (it's still holding steady at $1,200).

I did a search and seen that some people on here have done the hard pull and it was well worth it for them. I am wondering if I should take the risk by requesting a CLI and get a hard pull. Here's my rundown; tell me what you think:

EQ score: 673 as of 6/13

Util: 45%

Baddies:        2002-Collections for $786
                       2004-30-day late payment

Inquires within last 12 months: Four (2 in March 2008 and 2 in July 2007-should carry less weight next month?)

Current balance with Chase: $0

I haven't actually used the card in a very long time but I only recently (early May) paid off my balance.

Tell me what you think please. Hauling, where you at? Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I Ask for a CLI from Chase

If you don't mind the hard pull I'd say go for it. Chase has been really kind to me with CLIs.
Here we go again...
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

i would give it a shot. good luck, let us know how it goes.
Message 3 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

General question here: I had read that Chase was generous with auto-CLI's, and only if you wanted to accelerate things would you bother with a hard inq and request one.

But it seems like a lot of people are requesting them.

Does this mean that Chase isn't all the generous with the autos after all?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 21
ncscgirl2005
New Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:

Does this mean that Chase isn't all the generous with the autos after all?

It sure seems that way. They haven't auto'd me anything in the 6 years I've been with them. I've had a great history with them over the years (i.e car, other CC) but they've never increased this particular card.
Message 5 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Before you ask for a CLI, you might want to clarify whether this is a card with a $1200 ceiling. You might wind up doing better switching it to a different card entirely.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 21
SonorityGenius
Established Contributor

I despise Chase's practice of ALWAYS doing a HARD on EXPERIAN (here for me anyway in NJ) when requesting CL!

My amazon card (via Chase) had initial CL of 5k, after 2yrs of perfect PIF no AUTO cl so I DID it went for the hard and upped to 10k..... and was told its at its "cap"

I cant even do a product transfer since its Amazon =(

Chase sucks!! The EX hard isnt going to fall off for another 1.5.years! lol
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually just did that today. I was very reluctant, due to the hard pull, and I know the inquiry is going to hurt a little, but my Chase card is 0% interest until Feb 09 and I've been using it for purchases. I had about 80% util full, and I wanted to continue using it for a lot of my purchases for vacation. They did do a hard pull, and doubled my CL from $6500 to $13000. It is now my second highest limit, with only BoA coming in at $13900.

So now, after my purchases, instead of my util being 87%, it's only 43.5%

In terms of Auto CLI, the only other Chase card I have is the Disney Rewards and I received a $1000 CLI after I paid the card off, which took the CL up to $4500. For me, the hard pull on this card was completely worth it. But I won't be doing it again for a loooooong time.
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SonorityGenius wrote:
I despise Chase's practice of ALWAYS doing a HARD on EXPERIAN (here for me anyway in NJ) when requesting CL!
My amazon card (via Chase) had initial CL of 5k, after 2yrs of perfect PIF no AUTO cl so I DID it went for the hard and upped to 10k..... and was told its at its "cap"
I cant even do a product transfer since its Amazon =(
Chase sucks!! The EX hard isnt going to fall off for another 1.5.years! lol

I thought inquiries disappear after 1 year?
Message 9 of 21
SonorityGenius
Established Contributor

FICO stops counting them after a year but they stay on the actual report for 2 years =(
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.