cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I give up on AmEx CLI requests?

tag
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

Re: Should I give up on AmEx CLI requests?

I'm in agreement ... I think it is is a thin file combined with score and income .... not related to spend

I started at a $2K CL when my file looked more like yours.  Now I have $35K w Amex, and I put $0 spend on my 2 the revolvers, and very little spend on my Plat.  But I have a thick file now, good income, 800 range score, and run a lot of spend through other cards, just not Amex.

Message 31 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditguy wrote:
How are you using the card? If your nowhere close to spending your current limit, a CLI may be fruitless if you appear to not need it.

Doesn't this apply for most people? Many tend to request CLI for the sake of asking.

I'll admit it.  Guilty as charged.

Smiley Wink

Message 32 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone said four credit cards isn't much credit cards. What about me with six bank credit cards?

Message 33 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Someone said four credit cards isn't much credit cards. What about me with six bank credit cards?

Four credit cards is plenty, and six is above average. You have to remember there's people on this board who live and make it a hobby to have 20 credit cards with 400k worth of credit lines between all of them. Realistically, the average person has 1-3 credit cards with around $10,000-$15,000 allowed spend between all of them, so you have more than the average person. With that said, I also don't count the average person as one who is drowning in credit card debt either. I've read articles before where the author says the average person has nine credit cards... I don't believe that for a second.

While credit cards are important for building credit because they're basically unsecured, revolving loans with a 0% interest grace period, there's other ways you can thicken your credit file such as through student loans, mortgages, lines of credit, personal loans, car loans, etc, and three out of those five loan categories have interest rates in the low single digits if you have decent credit. In order to build a thick credit profile you're going to have to pay interest at some point.

If your credit profile consists of four credit cards with a $2,000 limit each, your credit won't skyrocket above the mid-700's since your monthly payments are basically up to you and your profile is one-dimensional... You can pay $5 by barely spending on the card, $135 a month, or you can have a car loan monthly payment of $329 a month that you pay over a set period of time, the latter would show creditors you're capable of making higher monthly payments. In my opinion, and realistically, the average person doesn't spend $2,000 or more a month on their card and pay it off in full, they usually charge little and pay little.

What I would do, is if you don't want to put 1k + of spend on your card every month, is to build a well rounded credit portfolio consisted of the loans I just talked about. The more rounded and deep your credit profile is, the better your score will be.

Message 34 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, customers can only request CLI six months after the last request correct? 

Message 35 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, customers can only request CLI six months after the last request correct? 

Apparently only after the last approved request. You can request another CLI 90 days after your last as long as it was denied. 

Message 36 of 41
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I opened an American Express EveryDay card in August of 2014. This is my second year with the card. My initial CL was $2,500. I read all about the 3x CLI tricks and when I was able, I did a CLI request for $7,500 and was approved on the spot. That's where my limit sits to this day. I've tried 3 times since then, all within the appropriate amount of time (i.e. six months in between each request) and I've been denied for each request. My first request was for $22,500 (which would be 3x my current limit). Denied. Second request was for $15,000. Denied. Third request was for $10,000. Denied. Am I ever going to get another CLI from AmEx? Should I stop trying?

My credit score is in the 750 region. I've never missed a payment and I have credit going back 4 years. I make around $42,500 per year. Is $7,500 the highest I'm going to get with AmEx? I can understand why $22,500 wouldn't be approved since that's more than half of my annual income but $10k is only 1/4 of my income and I was still denied.

Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated Smiley Happy

With any creditor the limit/CLI you qualify for is determined based on your credit profile and income.  If you find yourself stuck at a certain limit then it's probably your credit profile that is the limiting factor.

Creditors do not simpyl hand out CLI's in exchange for time.  The reason why a pull of your credit is used is because your entire credit profile is considered with each CLI request.  It's not just about score.  It's not just about the account or accounts that you hold with that one creditor.

If you want CLI's then you need to address the concerns that the creditor has with your credit profile.  What are the denial reasons?  What have you done to address them?  Keep in mind that the reasons cited may not always be straightforward and that you may have to do some work to interpret what they mean or to find the real issues with your credit profile.

@Anonymous wrote:

In my experience Discover has always been very stingy with ther CLIs. Though they did recently bump me up $1,000 without a CLI request.

Again, it's all about what your credit profile and income qualify for. I've had no problems getting significant CLI's from Discover but that's because my credit profile and income supported the CLI's. It's not a matter of generosity or stinginess of the creditor. Some creditors/products do have easier criteria than others but even the easy ones determine what to grant based on an individual's profile and income.

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't actually put a lot of use on the card - I usually use my CSP card for daily purchases. My AmEx has sat at a zero balance more often than not as of late. No incentive to use it over CSP unfortunately. 

When I do use the card I go nowhere near my $7,500 limit, usually only $200-$300 per month when I do use it. I just want the CLI to lower my utilization across the board. Which really isn't even high but I figure if I'm eligble for the CLI, might as well take it. 

If you have low revolving utilization then why are you worrying over revolving utilization?  You can always pay down balances prior to report date to drop your revolving utilization to whatever % you want.

Despite the popularity of the usage meme it's not about usage.  Again, it's primarily credit profile and income and profile is usually the bigger factor.

I've received CLI's of $17K (yes, that's the increase, not the limit) on a couple of cards that had no usage.  Do not rely on the usage meme.

You need to share details about your credit profile if you wantuseful feedback.  We need to know if you have any derogs, if your Payment History is 100% on time, your revolving uitlization, total number of credit accounts, AAoA, how many new accounts (2 years or less) that you have, etc.  Provide as much info as possible.

All that said, why the obsession over CLI's?  From what you've said you have very little credit card spend.

@longtimelurker wrote:

Remember, despite the overwhelming mantra on this forum of "making cards grow"  if you use nowhere near your limits, and you always PIF (so you have total control of your utilization) you really don't need CLIs.   Don't waste time pursuing it IMO.   I would also consider seeing if you are getting value from the CSP once you pay the annual fee.   Given income, you probably can't put enough money through it to make it better than a free 2% card.

Very much all of this ^

$200-300 on a CSP even if it's all 2x is only 7,200 UR points.  That's $72 as statement credit.  There are higher value redemptions but they typically require redeeming much, much more than 7,200 UR points.  Carefully cosider rewards cards.  Do the math for your spend -- and for programs like UR your redemptions as well.  You don't really ahve enough for one program like UR let alone for both UR and MR (the Everday card).

@Anonymous wrote:

Since they know that CSP is now your major card, they probably do not want to give you a CLI since they assume you will use the CSP more.

Not how it works.  My card with my heaviest spend has never seen a CLI and cards with little or no spend have seen significant CLI's.  Do not rely so heavily on usage.

Message 37 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

A FICO score is not a video game score. I consider 6000 a solid limit especially something that has grown from something low. Original reason looks like internal scoring so use the hell out of that card if you want it to grow, and maybe scale back or even close other Prime bank cards you have. My mother has an 840 credit score and none of her credit cards are over 5,000 limits but she has a lot of them… she is also not the kind of person who has ever asked for an increase… just applies for a card and is happy with the starting limits--but with over 800 of course you're gonna be taken care of.

I'm actually thinking that is the problem I have. my income is about the same as yours, my available credit is 2x income, and store cards are over 50% of overall credit. I should probably close a bunch of them and make amex my darling again.
Message 38 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

If you have low revolving utilization then why are you worrying over revolving utilization?  You can always pay down balances prior to report date to drop your revolving utilization to whatever % you want.

Despite the popularity of the usage meme it's not about usage.  Again, it's primarily credit profile and income and profile is usually the bigger factor.

I've received CLI's of $17K (yes, that's the increase, not the limit) on a couple of cards that had no usage.  Do not rely on the usage meme.

You need to share details about your credit profile if you wantuseful feedback.  We need to know if you have any derogs, if your Payment History is 100% on time, your revolving uitlization, total number of credit accounts, AAoA, how many new accounts (2 years or less) that you have, etc.  Provide as much info as possible.

All that said, why the obsession over CLI's?  From what you've said you have very little credit card spend.

Yes, people have gotten big CLIs on pretty much SD'ed cards.  But most likely people won't get a CLI bump on their current highest line without using the card.  That I believe is the OP's issue.

Deadrealism, I would check out all the Amex offers.  See what good deals are out there.  Let your friends and family know (the ones you trust) and buy things they need and have them pay you back less the offer cash back.  Rack up as high as you can in a month and PIF.  Keep doing that until your next CLI request time, make sure you PIF and the account currently shows $0 balance...then request the CLI.

Amex will see you spending more (which you haven't done recently) and get some swipe fees = Win

Your family and friends will get to save a little money = Win

You may have a greater chance at getting your CLI = Win

WIN WIN WIN Smiley Very Happy

Message 39 of 41
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm positive I'm keeping track of the days correctly. I record the date I made the request in my calendar and then try to overshoot the next request date by a week or so just to make sure.

I don't actually put a lot of use on the card - I usually use my CSP card for daily purchases. My AmEx has sat at a zero balance more often than not as of late. No incentive to use it over CSP unfortunately. 

When I do use the card I go nowhere near my $7,500 limit, usually only $200-$300 per month when I do use it. I just want the CLI to lower my utilization across the board. Which really isn't even high but I figure if I'm eligble for the CLI, might as well take it. 

Give it a little more time.  Had the same experience, then poof (after denial, request after 91 days Smiley Wink).  I did not need a lot of spend.  The banks are tightening up a bit now.  Higher scores, low utilization, are key.  I actually used one of my BCP requests to raise limit on simplycash by transferring after received.  Try asking 10k, then wait 180 days, and asking 15k.  Keep in mind the final limit you want, and balance your other cc limits to not much over 2x income.  This works for me.  Close out any cards you are not using (though your sig does not indicate many cards).

Signature needs updating
Message 40 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.