cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I try for a new credit card with PenFed...

tag
tubesock
Frequent Contributor

Should I try for a new credit card with PenFed...

My husband and I are planning to buy a home next year. We have 9 credit cards totaling a little over $50k in credit limits. We're currently @ 51% Utl. We are paying off debt to raise our scores to 740+ by end of Summer 2012. Just a few days ago I applied for a PenFed Savings account because they offer good rates for mortgages and I didn't want to have to have my credit report pulled for the account close to when we go to buy. They asked if I wanted to see about getting a CC with them since they already ran my credit report. 

My question is: Do you think I should get one since they have great CC?

Since they've already pulled my Credit Report so I should take advantage of the opportunity?

Or should I just skip and continue with what I have and leave it alone?

We currently have: 

NFCU: $20K

DCU: $10K

Lane Bryant: $750

Capital One: $750

Citi Plat: $4.8K

Goodyear: $5850

Sam's Club: $4.8K

Amex Zync: Charge account but highest balance is $4630

Amex HHonors: $1k

Thanks in advanceSmiley Happy

FicoTU 780 | Credit Karma 781 | Credit Sesame 780
EQ 673 Dec2011 | Current: 695 Nov2013 | Goal: 720+
UTL: 54% Dec2011 | Current UTL: 21% | Goal UTL: 0% June2014
AmxZync | CapOne 1k | Comenity 1.1k | Target 3k |NFCU Visasig 5k | Goodyear 5.8k | CitiSimplicity 10.2k
Sam'sClub 10k | AmxSpg 20k | Citi HiltonReserve 20k | DCU 20k | Chase RR Visasig 25k | NFCU Visasig 33k
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Should I try for a new credit card with PenFed...

Why not get a line of credit instead?

Message 2 of 24
tubesock
Frequent Contributor

Ohhhh, never thought of that. 

Why would you suggest it though?

AmxZync | CapOne 1k | Comenity 1.1k | Target 3k |NFCU Visasig 5k | Goodyear 5.8k | CitiSimplicity 10.2k
Sam'sClub 10k | AmxSpg 20k | Citi HiltonReserve 20k | DCU 20k | Chase RR Visasig 25k | NFCU Visasig 33k
Message 3 of 24
DI
Super Contributor

@tubesock wrote:

Carrying balances on revolving credit can ding your credit a lot more than carrying balances on installment loans.  Since you all already have enough credit cards with good credit lines, adding something different to the mix would be best. 

Message 4 of 24
tubesock
Frequent Contributor

Okay, I'll definitely have to consider that for sure.

Thanks for the explanation!

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tubesock wrote:

Be very careful.  LOCs at Penfed carry a 14.9% APR.  Their credit cards generally have a much lower APR.

Message 6 of 24
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@tubesock wrote:

Be very careful.  LOCs at Penfed carry a 14.9% APR.  Their credit cards generally have a much lower APR.

PenFed's Line of Credit is prime + 6% or currently 9.24% APR.  Are you thinking about the Thrifty overdraft?  It's 14.65%.  But it would be somewhat useless for the OP anyway, because any balance on either is included in your revolving utilization percentage.  Of couse, the credit limit is as well.

The only LOC I'm aware of that reports as an installment loan is Justice Federal Credit Union's LOC, regardless of how much you're approved for.  It goes up to $40k.

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TangMeister wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@tubesock wrote:

PenFed's Line of Credit is prime + 6% or currently 9.24% APR.  Are you thinking about the Thrifty overdraft?  It's 14.65%.  But it would be somewhat useless for the OP anyway, because any balance on either is included in your revolving utilization percentage.  Of couse, the credit limit is as well.

The only LOC I'm aware of that reports as an installment loan is Justice Federal Credit Union's LOC, regardless of how much you're approved for.  It goes up to $40k.

There are still cheaper APRs to be had on credit cards.

Message 8 of 24
tubesock
Frequent Contributor

Thank so much for the feedback. I think we'll just stick with what we have. One less piece of credit to think about. I think all we need anyway is a Mortgage now, since we do have two car payments reporting as well. The Mortgage is the only thing we're missing.

Thanks againSmiley Happy

Message 9 of 24
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Keep paying your cards down and your score will rise.

In my mind, getting them to less than 10% utilization is the best thing to do.

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.