cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I wait for CAP1 CLI or just combine now.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I wait for CAP1 CLI or just combine now.

Little bit of background first.   Opened my Cap 1 cards in Jan and Feb of 2015.  Have steadily grown them to a 6000 and 5000 cl.  Last cli was 3/15/2016.  So I am eligible for a cli as of now.   Problem is Capital One doesn't think my score is high enough for an increase.  My Fico 8's are currnety in the 680-690 range by my Fico 4's are in the 650-660 range.

The scores haven't changed much in the last six months or so.  Utilization is low at 3% but I have a lot of old baddies that are holding me back and I also added a fair amount of new accounts in the last year.  5-6 depending on the CB.  

Just wamt tp get some opinions on what you guys think.  Ultimately, I know it's my decision and no wrong way to do it.  So my question is should I hold out a little longer and see if my scores change.  Last new account was July 1st and don't plan on any new accounts till at least the first of 2017 when several inquiries fall off.  Or should I just go ahead and combine and just see if an increase is possible in six months after combination.

My only concern is that once the accounts combine into an 11000 account it will be much harder to get an increase because my spend on cards is only about 5-6 k per month and I try and spread that around some.  

5 REPLIES 5
Xistaben2
New Contributor

Re: Should I wait for CAP1 CLI or just combine now.

It's probably going to be a trade off.  Once you combine your cards, cap1 will see that as a credit limit increase on the account left open and you'll be on a 6 month timer.  I am going through that now as we speak.

I was able to get a $2000 CLI on my account I closed before combining the cards though, so silver linings there.  If you think waiting a month or so for your scores to go up to try for an increase, do it, cause once you combine - chances are you will have a 6 month timer.

Message 2 of 6
tussking
Established Contributor

Combine 100% ! I have combined at total of 6 cards in less than year...Greatest move ever ! 

Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Current Fico8 - (8.2022) EX - 744/EQ - 728/TU - 740
Message 3 of 6
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

I recently made that mistake of not asking for a CLI before combining and now I have to wait out the 6 moths. I would wait a bit to see if my scores improve and then ask for a CLI. Either way, both cards still sits at $11,000 TCL.
TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ask for a CLI before combining accounts.

Message 5 of 6
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

OP - see if you prequalify for new Venture or QuickSilver.

I opened new 10k cards when Cap One would not give me CLI.

Some accounts have glass ceilings.

You can combine accounts 6 months later if needed.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.