cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I wait on asking for another NFCU CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I wait on asking for another NFCU CLI?

In April I was approved for the GoRewards card with a credit line of $2,000.00. Through the online messaging feature, I was able to have that reconsidered and moved to $5,000.00. After the June A/R my limit was increased to 22k. I am wondering since I received such a large CLI if I should hold off on asking for more? I originally planned to hit the love button in early September, but I don't want to push my luck. This is my highest credit limit by far, most of my other lines are around the 6K mark.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I wait on asking for another NFCU CLI?

So you were able to get your firs CLI after only 2 statement cycles ?
Message 2 of 26
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

And were you able to do it using the SP method , the CLI stuff is so confusing , most ppl say wait 3 mths and am AR for SP but them others say that your FIRST CLI will always be a hard pull. I'm trying to figure out when we should ask for ours also .
Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, it was after 3 statements. My first statement cut on the 24th on April and I applied for the CLI on July 3rd... So about a week or so after my third statement cut.

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think there is definitely proof in the waiting 3 cycles. My husband got his card a month after me, and while I was able to get my CLI in July he got the 24 hour message. He only had 2 statements cut at the time. He called in immediately and cancelled the request as it was going to be a Hard pull.

Also, to answer your question, when I waited for the third statement & the recent A/R I was able to get the soft pull for a 17k CLI. I think in the long NFCU thread I read that it is ideal to have three statement and a recent A/R for increased soft pull chances.

From my undstanding the last A/R was at the end of June so the next one will be at the end of this month.

Message 5 of 26
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Thank you for this info , I wasn't sure if everyone was counting the first statement being the one that cuts right as you open the card or counting from your next one with actual transactions on it .
This has helped me to figure this out a bit more . Sorry I have no answers for your question but im sure if you wait for the AR and try there is nothing to lose ya know .
Message 6 of 26
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Can you share any data points with me , what were your scores when approved , did the change any by the time you asked for CLI?
Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't mind sharing the data points at all. These forums have been so helpful to me so it's great to pay it forward by sharing info! I started in February with scores in the high 500's, I am now in the 670s, thanks to all of the advice on here.

My Equifax Fico 08 was a 640 when I originally applied. At the time of the CLI it was near a 660 (which is why getting 17K was mouth dropping lol). I also used the 5k heavily and paid back multiple large payments throughout the month. I kept my utilization at around 15 percent on my statement balances. My overall utilization across all of my cards was somewhere around 25%. One of the last baddies I had on my report (aside from a Chapter 7 BK from 2013) was a charge off that aged off my report.

I would look at your online banking and when you see three statements there, you know you have at least reached that milestone. I would then wait for the A/R to take place. Someone may chime in to let us know if that last step is necessary.

Message 8 of 26
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Thank you so much for the data pts. I also.started my rebuild I'm Feb of this year and would be absolutely lost if it hadn't been for this wonderful forum and ppl on here .
I was only approved by recon for a 500 SL with my TU at 643 , it was because my SLs that I have been rehabbing still showed up on my reports as defaulted bc I jumped the gun and applied bf I payed my last payment with rehab. That should be off my reports any day now . Which is the last bad thing on there .
Once I explained to Navy that I had been in the Rehab program and only had one payment left they approved me but like I said only for 500 SL , I am blessed they did approve me but crossing my fingers that I will see a big increase when it is time for my CLI. Thanks
Message 9 of 26
tussking
Established Contributor

Wait for the next AR coming in the next 1.5 weeks !
Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Current Fico8 - (8.2022) EX - 744/EQ - 728/TU - 740
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.