Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I?

tag
dize
Regular Contributor

Should I?

So last week I got the pre-approval in the mail for the Chevron card. Since I didn't have a gas card I took it. I didn't look much into it becuase I thought I read somewhere that when GE sends you preapprovals it wasn't a hard pull, but I was wrong. Anyways, I just got another one in the mail for the wal mart card. I don't really need the FICO cuz I already have it from barclays. The card from them I really want is the sams mastercard. I do shop at wal mart relatively often though. If it has the possibility of converting to the discover, and getting a pretty high credit limit I might consider it, But I am worried because I just got a barclay card a couple of months ago and I don't want any AA from them. 

Is it worth accepting this offer, or should I just ignore it, wait a little while, and hold out for the sams mastercard?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Should I?

You can use the Walmart card at Sam's. Walmarts credit score is monthly where Barclay's credit score seems hit or miss when they update the score. The AA of Barclay is over rated in my opinion you'll be fine accepting the offer.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 10
dize
Regular Contributor

For sure, im just worried cuz I have opened 10 new accounts since may.

I didn't even realize I had that many, wow. 1 is the newegg preferred account, and one was from the shopping cart trick, though. 

Message 3 of 10
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

I applied in store for Walmart & Lowe's after receiving a Chevron and they both were SP approvals YMMV.

Message 4 of 10
Tony275
Valued Contributor

FWIW, I have a Walmart store card, was given an initial CL of $1,100 online when approved, called the next day and asked for $10,000, they counter offered at $5,000, my fourth statement cuts the 25th, so I'll be calling and asking for $20,000 hoping for another counter offer above $10,000.

Also, Walmart will be converting cards to MasterCard after September if I'm not mistaken, maybe even late August, Discover will no longer be with them.

My Lowe's card, I used the same technique - Initial CL of $700, called and got it to $6,000, then auto CLI'd to $6,300 after 2 months, then called this month and got it bumped to $12,000. Only had the account 4 months.

Starting Score: (June 2014) TU08: 663 | EQ04: 640 | EX08: 685
Current Score: TU08: 757 | EQ04/08: 757/758 | EX08: 761
Goal Score: 800 across the board

Total Credit Line - $186,050 | Utilization - 16.8%
Message 5 of 10
dize
Regular Contributor

That's pretty cool. I tried an online CLI on amazon but no luck. Is it possible if I get the wal mart card to convert it eventually to the discover or future mastercard?

Message 6 of 10
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@dize wrote:

For sure, im just worried cuz I have opened 10 new accounts since may.

I didn't even realize I had that many, wow. 1 is the newegg preferred account, and one was from the shopping cart trick, though. 

With these figures on a thin file  I would lay low and garden but I would also never apply for 10 new accounts in such a short time....I prefer to select the cards which really suit my spending and not apply for offers I receive just because I could get their card. It is your choice but that Walmart card does not run away and who knows in a year you would say "why did I get that card" because you can get better cards then. Good luck with whatever you decide Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
dize
Regular Contributor

Yeah, I didn't mean to apply to that many. I got the capital one and the newegg before I really knew what I was doing. then i got a lot of inaccuracies deleted on my transunion and equifax, but went on a mini app spree with a lot of denials since everyone pulled experian. then I ended up getting emailed a preapproval for citi simplicity, so I took that. I also got discover and barclay rewards(recon on this one). I ended up breaking my iphone so I had to buy a new one, so I apped for the apple financing visa, (night before my recon on rewards) and got approved, but still havent used it. Then I apped for the total rewards visa and got approved in a recon, since I go to vegas about 5-6x a year. took the shopping cart trick on the j crew since I shop there all the time. then didn't do anything for about a month, and then apped for the amazon since I needed to change a couple parts on my car and amazon was cheapest...then got the mailer for the chevron and took it..and now I have gotten the wal mart mailer too. 

The only ones I regret are the chevron and apple card, though. Wal mart definitely would be more useful than chevron, but Ive already got chevron. This offer is good until sept. 15. maybe I will wait a little bit and decide in a few weeks.

Message 8 of 10
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@dize wrote:

That's pretty cool. I tried an online CLI on amazon but no luck. Is it possible if I get the wal mart card to convert it eventually to the discover or future mastercard?

The upgrade is by invitation and if treated right you will be offered it eventually. 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 9 of 10
dize
Regular Contributor

I should probably stay off these forums in the middle of the night...But I decided to just go ahead and accept the wal mart offer. It said I was approved and would be recieving my card in 7-10 days, however it didn't give me a credit limit, or specify if it was the store card or the mastercard. I noticed on wal marts website that it is the same application for both cards, and they just give you whichever you are approved for. Is it possible I could have gotten the mastercard? and how can I find out the credit limit? Should I call in tomorrow? would it also be too early to ask for a CLI on my amazon and chevron cards, which are both within 6 weeks old?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.